Showers are Predicted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just looked at the Weather.com forecast for the 9th-12 and its SHOWERS everyday. I have been in Cozumel when it rained....never seemed to stop us. Wondering HOW BAD they have to be before the boats don't go out.

Otter:
I just looked at the Weather.com forecast for the 9th-12 and its SHOWERS everyday. I have been in Cozumel when it rained....never seemed to stop us. Wondering HOW BAD they have to be before the boats don't go out.

It does not seem to take much to close the pool in Coz. We were there one day when the seas were *maybe* three feet, and they closed the Harbor. They then reopened it, and all was well. But compared to other places I've boat dived, they close the Harbor during conditions when some would not think twice about going out.

Ironically a LOT of boats were already out before they closed the pool, so it was kinda strange that some OPS were out diving while others were telling divers that the pool was closed.

It seemed kinda silly that they have this hard and fast rule as conditions that are more difficult for small craft are less so for larger boats, and we generally found that seas farther south were calmer vs. in the North, so not all spots are equally *rough*.

It rained most days while we were there in Jan. Mostly in the afternoon. The only real impact it had on us was that the vis and lighting is less dramatic.

Otter:

* Rain does not close the port or cancel diving - wind does - you're going to get wet anyway
* "Showers" is a very broad general SAFE prediction for the forcasters to make
* It could be pouring at your hotel...but clear and sunny in town or out on the reefs
* It could be pouring on the other side and sunny on this side
* It could be pouring in town and bright and sunny out at the reefs
* A shower could literally last 5 minutes and as stated above could be very isolated
* A shower also refers to a light sprinkle
* It is rainy season in the tropics...the forecasters HAVE to predict rain
* If dives were cancelled everytime there is rain somewhere on the island, we would rarely dive

This would be another sticky request! People, please pay no attention to the weather forecasts unless God forbid it says we have a hurricane headed straight for us...the rest of those forecasts are generic, unreliable and unpredictable.

Before we went down in Oct teh weather we could find was calling for rain everyday. 8 days later I think it rained twice and even then it was like 15 minutes or so.

This is consistent with my experience....just worried that it predicted it EVERY DAY....not that I believe weather-persons anyway. Last time we wore trash bags with a hole cut in the top and rode scooters around on our last day...somehow it just doesn't feel like rain when it still 88F.

The other thing is the ocean surface looks pretty cool when you can see rain hit it and you are at 65fsw and have 100+ viz.

Christi:
* Rain does not close the port or cancel diving - wind does - you're going to get wet anyway
* "Showers" is a very broad general SAFE prediction for the forcasters to make
* It could be pouring at your hotel...but clear and sunny in town or out on the reefs
* It could be pouring on the other side and sunny on this side
* It could be pouring in town and bright and sunny out at the reefs
* A shower could literally last 5 minutes and as stated above could be very isolated
* A shower also refers to a light sprinkle
* It is rainy season in the tropics...the forecasters HAVE to predict rain
* If dives were cancelled everytime there is rain somewhere on the island, we would rarely dive

This would be another sticky request! People, please pay no attention to the weather forecasts unless God forbid it says we have a hurricane headed straight for us...the rest of those forecasts are generic, unreliable and unpredictable.

Christi, you had suggested a water temp sticky and now a weather sticky. If you want to create something, I will "stick it"

It does not seem to take much to close the pool in Coz. We were there one day when the seas were *maybe* three feet, and they closed the Harbor. They then reopened it, and all was well. But compared to other places I've boat dived, they close the Harbor during conditions when some would not think twice about going out.
The first time I went to Coz, the port was closed to dive boats and I stood on the beach with some other divers looking out at the waves...

Me: Where you fellows from?
Them: Oregon
Me: Damn, look at those waves - does it ever get this good there...?!

But it is different at Coz. Most of us like the 8-pack boats, which aren't as safe on larger waves as the larger boats, and I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that.

Otter:
This is consistent with my experience....just worried that it predicted it EVERY DAY....

That's a pretty normal prediction for this time of year. Not to worry; so there's a chance that it may rain somewhere on the island every day. Big deal. It doesn't mean anything.

I'm gonna sound like a broken record here, but.....

The one thing I've learned about vacationing to Cozumel/Playa del Carmen at least once, sometimes twice a year since 1999 is to NEVER look at the weather forecast.... It always predicts rain/showers for the area. Like Christi said, it's a safe prediction. Also keep in mind that it's tropical and an upwelling could happen in a moment causing afternoon cooling showers that last only a few minutes. We've been there in the months of October, November, December, April, May and June and we've always had the best weather in the month of May sometimes having no rain at all for our entire stay. That's why we're going in May (12-19) again for the 6th time! FWIW, October on the other hand sucked. YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom