Si Tech Quick Glove Rings first impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hudson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got these for my Fusion as it has the SiTech cuffs pre-installed. What I got is the complete set which includes both cuff and glove rings, as the price difference between the glove-only kit and the complete kit is minimal. http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/quick-glove-system-p-2502.html

I'm a huge fan of the Viking Bayonet system, so I've spent the past couple of weeks being really annoyed that they are not compatible with SiTech stuff. But... these may be even better (assuming they won't leak, don't know yet.) The installation is same as the bayonets and very simple. It operates differently though. Instead of a twist on-off system, you simply push the glove inside the cuff ring. This takes a couple of steps and I thought this would be a huge hassle while donning, but turns out it's very easy! Removal is simply grabbing a rotating bezel on the glove side and turning it clockwise, and it pops right off. Bayonets OTOH need to be aligned and they may get stuck needing leverage from a table etc to get them off, so really there is no downgrade here.

Also the glove rings are easier to install and you don't need to worry about any alignment there either.

So far so good.. we'll see how they hold up in the water.

I believe the Glove lock system does work, well according to DRIS videos that is. I guess the suit side Glove lock ring "goes over" the suit side permanent ring. I believe the Viking Bayonet system works the same way, maybe TsandM will chime in about this as I believe this is what she is using on her new Fusion. I'm using the quick glove system on my Fusion as I had the same permanent rings installed on my NexGen so my old gloves worked with my new suit. There is a slight learning curve on the quick glove system you may want to make note of. The o-rings will tend to roll out of the groove if the glove is not pushed in square. The Si Tech instructions warn you not to use any lube except for the hard wax they give you with the kit, well the hard wax may work well for zippers it does nothing for the o-rings. After doing some searching and experimenting this is what I have found works "well for me at least". Lube the o-rings on the glove rings with the smallest amount of silicone grease, I mean just enough to make them shiny and no more. The next step is to wipe the grease off the o-rings with a paper towel (this will leave just a very thin layer left on the o-rings and this is all that you need. Now when donning the gloves try to push them in as square as possible then when they are fully docked in the suit side ring you will want to twist the removal ring so that it pushes the glove ring about 3/4 of the way out. This will allow you to see the entire o-ring around the glove ring but it should still be sealed into the suit side ring and if it is still flat in the groove push it back into the suit side ring, if it rolled out of the groove you will need to start over. I have been using this method for three years now and have been totally dry with these gloves. The rolled o-ring thing was well known back when I first purchased my other suit but I have not heard about it in a long while as people have moved to other systems. If you search back a few years here and at the deco stop you can find the old threads that apply to this. I think we will be seeing more of this conversation as more people purchase the Fusion with the new SLT systems, also known as SiTech QuickGlove.

Totally agree about the lube. Neat trick about the partial removal to check "O" rings. Thanks.

I believe the Glove lock system does work, well according to DRIS videos that is. I guess the suit side Glove lock ring "goes over" the suit side permanent ring. I believe the Viking Bayonet system works the same way, maybe TsandM will chime in about this as I believe this is what she is using on her new Fusion.

Right, I just didn't want a second set of cuff rings on there. I used to have the old stretch-over Vikings and the bulk was very annoying while donning/doffing the BP/W, so I'd probably end up in a similar situation.

Bayonets can't be mounted that way. There is a way to "kinda" make it work, and believe me I tried, but it leaked all over for me hence the Si Tech purchase.

Frankly I didn't know about this o-ring issue, and it didn't bite me so far. I did three dives today and all went well. But thanks for the tip!

Great to hear :wink:

Yes, both systems work with the Removable wrist system. The quick glove pushes into the replaceable wrist system and the glovelock has suit side rings that go over the replaceable system. Both work flawlessly with the wrist system.

A little care goes a long way with keelping these systems working properly, and lubing is top on that list.

Hudson, just wanted to let you know that Si Tech announced smaller silicon seals today...they are in the pipeline and coming soon :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom