Sick of family get togethers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimAZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thanksgiving and Christmas is a gruelingly dull experience every year for my family. to try and improve on this, my siblings & I have agreed that next year we'll spend a week at a resort someplace to liven things up a bit. The problem: I have relatives who (shudder) don't dive. I know, I don't understand it either, but I can't just disown them over their "lifestyle choice." Where can a group of about 20 people (yeah, we're Catholic) go where there is good diving and is good for non-divers as well. Greece maybe?

Maui...we do it every couple of years. Not as big a group as yours but only 2 divers. The fares are often cheap from here since USAirways and Hawaiian compete. Also if you want to go to other islands, there's a GO vs. Aloha price war on. Not that it helps you now but it's $20 one-way between islands right now.

Would you consider Catalina Island? It's not tropical but there's plenty of diving and top side activities, especially if the group hasn't been here before. You also have the option of renting homes that sleep groups more reasonably and have kitchens for food prep.

sjspeck:
Maui...we do it every couple of years. Not as big a group as yours but only 2 divers. The fares are often cheap from here since USAirways and Hawaiian compete. Also if you want to go to other islands, there's a GO vs. Aloha price war on. Not that it helps you now but it's $20 one-way between islands right now.

That's a thought. Oahu was actually the first place we lived after all us kids were born.

drbill: "Would you consider Catalina Island? It's not tropical but there's plenty of diving and top side activities, especially if the group hasn't been here before. You also have the option of renting homes that sleep groups more reasonably and have kitchens for food prep. "
Today 03:58 PM

I don't know. I haven't been on Catalina since I was a teenager, but I'm bringing a group there next weekend so I'll check things out. My main concern is weather (the folks are in their mid seventies & I don't want them getiing chilled.

Thanks for the replies by the way:D

Hi Tim:
What's the agreed budget for this trip, and are there kids involved?

drbill:
Would you consider Catalina Island? .....
ummmm no......

if it was me, and im going to spend my christmas break with 20 family members (good grief) i would go tropical.

at least the thought of good food and duty free booze will keep me sane when not underwater (where i cant hear my mothers voice)

so if some are in their 70's you dont want alot of travel im guessing.... what about something like the carribean....jamica would be nice :D

A wise man once said "you can choose your friends but you cant choose your family!"

Diving Doc:
A wise man once said "you can choose your friends but you cant choose your family!"
[hijack]did i mention that my parents in law live right next door, hubbys brother lives 10 houses up the street and his other brother lives 2 houses up from him[/hijack]

Back
Top Bottom