if you're sick after a dive, take it seriously

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, you'll know a lot more by the end of the year, much less by June. And I hope that you had your ears examined as well. It'd be wise to do some checkout dives at home before travel rather than risking problems in less developed Roatan. And add Trip Insurance to any international plans, ever.

Ok, you'll know a lot more by the end of the year, much less by June. And I hope that you had your ears examined as well. It'd be wise to do some checkout dives at home before travel rather than risking problems in less developed Roatan. And add Trip Insurance to any international plans, ever.
But they have a chamber there, right?
And yeah, I have full travel and dive insurance.

Air embolism is very serious. As a layman, everything you described and including the familiar history leads me to suspect a bleb. The (more) qualified people are probably hesitant to take a guess at it, but I can't imagine a pfo being the cause, although maybe it could possibly make things worse after the initial injury.

If it should ever happen again, recompression asap will be critical to preserve neural tissue. International transport would probably not be that beneficial. It is very different injury compared to DCS that might result in you having some bubbles in your shoulder or elbow, especially if you got hit on a very conservative dive.

I would concentrate on acquiring a diagnosis and make plans based on that.

It must be terribly discouraging for someone who is so enthusiastic about the activity to be presented with these kinds of serious challenges after just learning to dive. You obviously have a lot of courage and determination, but your long term health and wellness is a lot more important than blowing bubbles.

your long term health and wellness is a lot more important than blowing bubbles.
Exactly. It'd be sad to be stuck in a wheelchair at such a young age.

Air embolism is very serious. As a layman, everything you described and including the familiar history leads me to suspect a bleb. The (more) qualified people are probably hesitant to take a guess at it, but I can't imagine a pfo being the cause, although maybe it could possibly make things worse after the initial injury.

If it should ever happen again, recompression asap will be critical to preserve neural tissue. International transport would probably not be that beneficial. It is very different injury compared to DCS that might result in you having some bubbles in your shoulder or elbow, especially if you got hit on a very conservative dive.

I would concentrate on acquiring a diagnosis and make plans based on that.

It must be terribly discouraging for someone who is so enthusiastic about the activity to be presented with these kinds of serious challenges after just learning to dive. You obviously have a lot of courage and determination, but your long term health and wellness is a lot more important than blowing bubbles.
As I told a fellow SB buddy-
It probably looks like I’m some stupid 20 year old who doesn’t give two shits about my safety, but it’s more like I can’t believe any of this is going on. And it’s really, really hard to deal with. I didn’t expect it at all, and some people text me saying “oh you’re fine, it probably had nothing to do with diving, just go dive and see what happens” which throws me off too.
Just can’t really wrap my mind around maybe not being able to dive this soon. I thought I’d be diving into old age.

Hope you're feeling more normal on land these days, and good luck on further studies.

Update for anyone following, just because it may be interesting to some.

I had the PFO bubble study, which showed “late positive at rest and after Valsalva”. A few people have told me it indicates an intrapulmonary shunt rather than a PFO due to the late bubble appearance. As to what that means for diving, I’m not sure yet. From my very brief internet research (LOL), it seems to have the same implications as a PFO. Hopefully I will get a call tomorrow.

Non-contrast chest CT came back clear though. So I have no theories here, will just wait for the call.

Back
Top Bottom