if you're sick after a dive, take it seriously

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awww thank you, that's sweet. and i really really hope so-it's so easy to brush things off but it can be detrimental.
i was fully expecting to get ripped apart honestly because i've dealt with some AH people on here
WHAT? On ScubaBoard???!!! :giggle:

WHAT? On ScubaBoard???!!! :giggle:
i know right! here of all places??
lmaoo
really thought people were gonna say "that cant happen at 13 feet" or "you're so stupid for not calling anyone"

i know right! here of all places??
lmaoo
really thought people were gonna say "that cant happen at 13 feet" or "you're so stupid for not calling anyone"

Was on a RIB with a guy with DCI. He was laying in a heap in the bottom of the boat unable to move being all but paralysed down one side. He was adamant there was nothing wrong with him and we were wasting the oxygen on him. He was an instructor and had recently instructed on an O2 course. It was only when he was in the pot reading the notes sent with him he realised he had a problem.

Was on a RIB with a guy with DCI. He was laying in a heap in the bottom of the boat unable to move being all but paralysed down one side. He was adamant there was nothing wrong with him and we were wasting the oxygen on him. He was an instructor and had recently instructed on an O2 course. It was only when he was in the pot reading the notes sent with him he realised he had a problem.
Yeahhhh sounds like something I would’ve done
I hate being a burden to people…if I’ll be alive by myself, it’s fine
What was the dive, if you remember

Yeahhhh sounds like something I would’ve done
I hate being a burden to people…if I’ll be alive by myself, it’s fine
What was the dive, if you remember

It was more than 30 years ago. Not a shallow dive like yours. It was about 27m, square profile, probably close to the no stop limit, using tables, before safety stops. The symptoms were spotted as soon as he was back on the boat. He was given O2 then the helicopter took him to the re compression chamber for treatment. He went to a diving doc for tests, but no reason was found, so stopped diving.

It was more than 30 years ago. Not a shallow dive like yours. It was about 27m, square profile, probably close to the no stop limit, using tables, before safety stops. The symptoms were spotted as soon as he was back on the boat. He was given O2 then the helicopter took him to the re compression chamber for treatment. He went to a diving doc for tests, but no reason was found, so stopped diving.
ah that's pretty much what i was told, since there wasn't a reason for all this happening-like a freak accident-it's highly recommended that i don't dive. do you know how he is now?

Sorry to disappoint. :wink:

Seriously, kudos for your openness and wanting to help the whole diving community.
every time i get a notification for this thread i brace myself LOL
yeah, it literally happened to me and still doesn't feel real. i still find myself thinking, nothing happened and you're fine...just go hop on a dive boat.
well my hope is that others will see their situation as real and serious and get help. and return to diving :)

ah that's pretty much what i was told, since there wasn't a reason for all this happening-like a freak accident-it's highly recommended that i don't dive. do you know how he is now?

He made a full recovery. The diving doc would have signed his medical. With no reason for the DCI he didn’t think it was worth the risk. The chest X-ray and pfo test showed nothing.

Sadly he took up golf.

He made a full recovery. The diving doc would have signed his medical. With no reason for the DCI he didn’t think it was worth the risk. The chest X-ray and pfo test showed nothing.

Sadly he took up golf.
diving to golf...can't imagine that lmao.
main reason i wasn't signed off is apparently my residual symptoms are significant enough
but that's awesome he's okay now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom