side mount to back mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnscooter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just getting into tech diving and looking to get some gear. A member of SB is selling a side mount set of regs. My question is what will it take to convert this set up to backmount doubles. Is there anything special done to the regs. other than spg on short hose and other hose lengths? Hope you understand my question. Thanks Scott

Only thing you may need is hoses. I use a 7' hose for primary and 22" for backup, 24" for spg hose. I'd be more concerned with servicing and ensuring the reg 1st and 2nd stage were good to go.

A member of SB is selling a side mount set of regs. My question is what will it take to convert this set up to backmount doubles. Is there anything special done to the regs. other than spg on short hose and other hose lengths?
With that caveat that you didn't specifiy which particular regs are involved: No, nothing beyond hose lengths. You may find you need a HP port plug, and end up with a spare SPG as well - presuming you plan to dive manifolded doubles.

On the subject of which specific regs you are considering - a number of SM divers prefer turret first stages - Apeks DST, Zeagle 50D, etc. These are perfectly functional for BM diving, although the positioning of the LP ports of the turret doesn't necessarily lend itself to optimal hose routing. I have used Zeagle 50Ds as BM doubles regs, and they work, the hose routing just is pretty.

It would definitely help to know what the existing set consists of, before precise advice can be given...

Assuming the SPGs are set up on 6" hoses, you'll be putting one of the SPGs onto a longer HP hose. 24" is the norm.

Back-up regulator will go on a shorter IP hose - 22-24", depending on the regs and your size. Long hose will stay on a 7' hose, again, assuming it is on one now.

LPI length will probably differ also... and the necessary change will be dictated by the length of the inflator on your wing.

Question: Why not just do your tech in sidemount? :wink:

Hey everyone thanks for the info. the regs are DR 3100ice, I havent got an answer on whether or not they are still for sale. You guys have gave me what I was looking for. Thanks agian.

DevonDiver: I am just starting tech diving and am going to do TDI advanced nitrox and deco. They LDS specified BM doubles. Thats the only reason. I am open for either myself and think SM would be how I end up looks easy on my lower back.

They LDS specified BM doubles.

Availability of qualified SM instructors is a valid reason :wink:

It doesn't hurt to have experience in BM doubles... even if only to reinforce how much you appreciate sidemount when you get the chance to try it :D

I am just starting tech diving and am going to do TDI advanced nitrox and deco. They LDS specified BM doubles. Thats the only reason. I am open for either myself and think SM would be how I end up looks easy on my lower back.

Find another LDS!

Seriously, if you haven't dove (or invested in) back mounted doubles yet, I would recommend that you become fairly familiar with whatever configuration you choose before taking AN/DP. You may find that the task loading for deco stops and drills while learning to dive doubles with deco bottles to be a bit too much.

Personally, even though I back mounted (BM) doubles first, I found the transition to side mount (SM) much easier. I practiced a whole summer in a pool with video to get my trim, stability, and buoyancy squared away in BM, while SM took me only a few dives, and that was to get the cylinders and whatever trim weights I needed placed correctly. If I had to do it over, I would have never back mounted doubles to begin with. I will still BM singles even though one can SM singles also. The natural balance, at least for my tall body type, in SM was eye-opening from the very first SM dive. I knew immediately that I would never BM doubles again, at least not the heavy steel 104s and 108s. In SM, the tank CG (center of gravity) is much closer to your body's CG, so that there is no tendency to "turtle" or roll over and much easier to adjust your fore-aft (head up/down) trim with tank position and/or trim weight placement.

And yes, it is MUCH easier on your back, especially getting in and out of the water!

Thanks for the info, I didnt even ask about going side mount I just read there info. I will chech to see it this is an option. SM seems the way to go. I am in the process of getting my gear. This is not a cheap endevor. I have got my bp/w and now have 2sets of regs. Starting to sell off my recreational stuff to raise money. TDI coarse is this summer. I also have two very experianced tech divers to mentor me what a blessing. We are all on our local SAR team. Got to go to work. More questions later. Thanks again for all your help

Is your profile accurate? Less than 24 dives and taking AN/DP already? There are lots of recreational dives to be done getting overall experience before the time and expense of technical diving is needed.

Its a waste of time taking AN/DP in sidemount from a backmount instructor. More than a waste of time, waste of money too. There are very few qualified sidemount instructors in the midwest. If you really want sidemount instruction you will need to travel.

Is your profile accurate? Less than 24 dives and taking AN/DP already? There are lots of recreational dives to be done getting overall experience before the time and expense of technical diving is needed.

Its a waste of time taking AN/DP in sidemount from a backmount instructor. More than a waste of time, waste of money too. There are very few qualified sidemount instructors in the midwest. If you really want sidemount instruction you will need to travel.
I am really advanced for my age. LOL. I figured its better to strive to be a tech diver than a strive to be recreational diver. Yes more dives than listed.

Back
Top Bottom