Sidemount Light Choices...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norwegian Cave Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the market for a new sidemount light for cave diving. I have a Light Monkey SM 12. Great light. No issues with it, but find it not quite bright enough for me. Am considering their 24 watt or perhaps the 32.
Have not seen a Light Dude light. I was cave diving with a guy a couple years ago and I think he had a German made light that had a whiter light than mine and it was focusable also. When set for a narrow beam the light shape was square. I am only interested in a high quality light. Any cave divers with some suggestions please.

how much burn time do you need per day? The UWLD lights are absolutely incredible and if you're cave diving, before you buy I'd urge you to try to get to Cave Adventurers to take one of their lights for a spin. They also have a couple handhelds that you can try. I have one, but they aren't for me. Too heavy and big on the hand compared to my LD-35

Did you mean...
Big Blue
TL4800PC-Slim

Yeah they changed the model. I like the 4800p. It is handheld. I am definitely not a fan of the Big Blue can lights. The one I was around had a cord that was threaded on both ends. Just something I don't like. The BB 4800 can be bought for 3-$400. It will take you a long way in diving. Unless your cave dives are over 3 hours bottom time I think you will find the high end can lights a waste of money. You can buy 3 or 4 BB 4800 handhelds for the price of a high end Light Monkey or UWLD light. Also the UWLD don't do as well as other lights in water that has a lot of particulates.

halcyon makes a nice light it has a focusable beam i own 2........ UWLD makes a nice quality light, bright dependable, additional options for heated vest, video lights,etc... dive rite has a nice light for a more reasonable price its dependable, and nice quality ...... all 3 mentioned have very good customer service, really depends on price you like and what nots..... i can only comment on the 3 as i own or have owned them.... Hi M!!

The new Light Monkey light is really nice. I prefer it to the 3500 UWLD as he beam is a little tighter and still has a nice spill. I sold my UWLD lights as I wasn't using them anymore. I was using my LM and Big Blue handheld.

Back
Top Bottom