Sidemount, seems cool but why give it a try ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plongeur2000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all,

I start to have a lot of dive, more I dive more I meet Sidemount divers, they are all telling me that's the best way to dive.

I can understand the point in cave or wreck but not for fun dives. Can someone explain me why is that so great ?

There are a couple of "plus" outside of technical wreck and cave.

1. Weight is not on your back all at one time, it can be managed in smaller chunks. (Great for people with medical issues, such as bad knees/back/etc..)
2. Redundancy - You have two completely separate breathing systems on your body at one time.

But not all cave diving or wreck diving requires sidemount either. It is simply another tool in the toolbox..

Since I started diving backmount doubles, I have found that I pretty much always choose to use my doubles instead of using a single tank on my back, even when I'm just doing fun dives. Having all that extra gas is reassuring to me. Having the redundancy, in case of a 1st stage regulator failure is also reassuring to me. If I'm out on a dive boat, I just take one twinset, instead of two individual cylinders. I don't have to move my BCD over to another tank during the surface interval, which is nice. On the second dive, I have all the gas of one cylinder plus any extra, leftover gas from the first dive. Assuming I used less than half of my gas during the first dive, of course.

For example: I use doubles that start at 3000 psi. When I get out after the first dive, I still have 2000 psi left. That means, for my second dive, I have 2000 psi left. In a set of doubles, that is like having a single tank with 4000 psi to use. If I did the same dives with individual single tanks, I would finish the first dive with 1000 psi in my tank. But, I wouldn't be able to use any of that gas during my second dive.

I am now starting to learn sidemount. It gives me all the same benefits that I enjoy when using backmount doubles. But, it means I don't have to carry all that weight of a twinset mounted on a steel backplate on my back. I can get in the water with one tank on, or even no tanks, and then put on one (or both) tanks after I get in the water. And at the end of a dive I can take a tank off and hand it up to someone on the boat, or clip it off to an equipment line, so that I am only climbing the ladder back onto the boat with one tank, instead of 2.

Single tank, backmount doubles, sidemount with independent doubles. They all have their pros and cons. I'm looking forward to being at least somewhat proficient with all 3, so I can use whichever one I want for any given dive. As Doby said, it's just another tool in the toolbox.

I won't say it's the best. Just another configuration that suits some situations and divers needs and preferences.

An advantage for me is I can make sidemount doubles (or more) out of any cylinders where ever I go with a handful of tank bands. Sourcing doubles is often more difficult and costly.

Do what works,
Cameron

Hello all,

I start to have a lot of dive, more I dive more I meet Sidemount divers, they are all telling me that's the best way to dive.

I can understand the point in cave or wreck but not for fun dives. Can someone explain me why is that so great ?
I took it up for cave, on account of the need for redundancy. The reason I went that was was that It was cheaper than backmount doubles. Primarily, you don't have to buy bands and a manifold. There are other reasons I discovered later, such as properly configured sidemount kit pretty much forcing good trim without any real effort.

That said, I don't bother with sidemount on fun recreational dives. I have an almost entirely separate kit now that I use for rec dives. I leave my shearwater at home, dive backmount single, ffm, with an air2 and wireless AI Galileo.

When I first took up sidemount I did regular rec dives in that configuration. I needed to gain proficiency before undertaking cave class.

Do those that are telling you it's the best way to dive by chance sell sidemount gear or training?

An advantage for me is I can make sidemount doubles (or more) out of any cylinders where ever I go with a handful of tank bands. Sourcing doubles is often more difficult and costly.

Oh, yeah! I meant to mention that, too. Now that I found a preference for diving with two tanks, even on fun dives, the idea of being able to fly somewhere and dive on vacation and use any two ordinary tanks to still have that comfort factor is another reason I want to learn SM. The fact that my SM rig is a few pounds lighter than even my single tank BM rig, so it's easier to pack is just a bonus.

I am getting ready to go and do Open Water checkouts this weekend. I'll be using sidemount. Why? Less weight on my back, it's easier getting in and out of the water, redundant air supplies and since my OW students are taught buddy breathing it ensures I always have gas for both of us.
The sidemount rig, for me, is more user-friendly and simplifies buddy and bubble checks.

Depends on who you are. I just started a class last week with a couple of students, both taking it for different reasons.
One, a female who has been diving single cylinder for years and is now beginning to have back issues. She remembers diving with a young lady in Key Largo a few years ago who was in single cylinder sidemount. She thought that is great, if ever get to that point I'll remember that. The lady is my wife, who also sees the value of the redundancy and wants a couple 40's.
The other, a young man who likes the 'cool' factor but wants the redundancy and flexibility over backmount doubles. With plans to travel he likes the idea of I can use a couple cylinders from anywhere, where doubles are not readily available everywhere.

The class before this one, was a husband and wife. He's been cave diving for years and wanted to switch because his lady friend was going to learn cave and wanted to do it in sidemount because she had a trouble handling doubles.

I took up SM for the extra air (buddy had doubles) and found I liked the modularity of it, the comfort underwater, and the redundancy. I'm currently sitting at SFO on my way to Bonaire, and the idea of not having redundancy bothered me enough to pack my 13 cuft pony. This way I can do single SM with pony, or double SM. Easier to pack the stuff than traditional BM equipement. Another advantage for me is a more stable beach entry.

FYI I just pasted through TSA screening with a valve off pony, lots of spare Li-Ion batteries, cameras, laptop, dive computers, full SM harness, SM wing, SM regulator, prescription mask and some odds and ends AND DIDN'T HAVE TO OPEN ANY BAGS. This was all in my carry on and personal bag. My checked bag has the other 2 regulators, spare SM wing, flashlights, fins, spare prescription mask, and a few tools. I doubt I could have packed my redundant gear (I feel better having it along) with my BM gear.

When I travel, I want redundancy. So SM is my preferred configuration for recreational dives. Eventually as I progress, I'll switch to SM for technical diving as well.

Back
Top Bottom