"Sidemounting With Benefits" - Lessons from a newbie Sidemount Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quick Links:
  • Part 1 - "First SM dive! Fumbling, but Fun!"
  • Part 1b - "On-land practice & equipment changes."
  • Part 2 - "Not Completely Incompetent!"
  • Part 3 - "Weekend Madness"
  • Part 4 - Ponymount (80 & 19cu)
  • Part 5 - A-B Testing
(check latest posts for updated table-of-contents)

[Part 5] A-B Testing

A few more random updates:
  • Ring Bungees: I started experimenting with ring-bungies. I'm not a fan yet, but will give them a chance. Regulator loop-bungees took some time to get used to, so I'd like to at least get through the learning curve.
  • I did a 4.5-hour dives SM (2x 80cu), which was kinda crazy. I was mostly at 15ft or less. It may have been longer, but my stupid dive-computer seems to think anything around 6ft or less is not diving. Also, diving at those depths definitely tests bouyancy, which I think I managed quite well.
  • "Ponymount" is still working fairly well. I'm about 50/50 between actual SM dives, and "ponymount" dives. The interesting part is that with increased comfort with that setup, I'm starting to notice the mechanics more. Specifically, I'm diving with an AL80 (left) and AL19 (unused, emergency-only). At the beginning of the dive, I feel fairly balanced, however around 1500 PSI, my left side seems to become noticeably buoyant, offsetting my left/right trim. It doesn't bother me much, but I'm guessing I didn't notice it before mostly due to just random unfamiliarity with the setup. It might suck for penetration-wrecks, but I don't do those yet. I might try movable-weights, clipped to the waist-d-rings and report back.
  • Cam-band vs Hose-Clamp - I've been using a hose-clamp. In the interest of travel, I decided to try using a cam-band instead to secure at the bottom of a tank. The cam-band had a tendency to slide over the course of a dive, making it less reliable than a hose-clamp. As a result, it didn't take me long to switch back to hose clamps. I'll take a few turns of a screwdriver for a VERY secure mount, versus a less reliable but potentially faster cam-band. Even using rental-tanks a few days ago, the hose-clamp version didn't take too much effort to swap.
  • Sliding vs non-sliding d-rings. I switched to non-sliding d-rings. They're more reliable, and I can manage the cylinder trim just as well or better. You just have a few extra d-rings, and make it so they don't slide. Someone mentioned ditching sliding d-rings in another thread, and I was basically sold instantly.
  • As a side-note, I'll be doing some travel-dives in about 2 weeks, and plan to bring my SM rig. I haven't decided yet if I'll do a boat-dive yet or not, but it'll probably be mostly shore-dives.

I took my class and used loop bungee but the instructor used ring bungee. I have since switched to ring so that it would be easier to enter the water with the tank(s) clipped on me rather than taking up time having the tanks handed to me. Keep me posted on what you think, I'm going back out this weekend to try it again.

. In the interest of travel, I decided to try using a cam-band instead to secure at the bottom of a tank. The cam-band had a tendency to slide over the course of a dive, making it less reliable than a hose-clamp. As a result, it didn't take me long to switch back to hose clamps. I'll take a few turns of a screwdriver for a VERY secure mount, versus a less reliable but potentially faster cam-band. Even using rental-tanks a few days ago, the hose-clamp version didn't take too much effort to swap.

You're obviously doing something wrong. I've never had cambands move. I use the Dive Rite ones with the SS buckle that also has rollers to make the closing easier, but given even chepo plastic cams are used on BCD's and their tanks don't move, I'd say it's something you're doing.

Also if you're on ring bungees the weight of the tank out of the water is effectively being taken by the valve via the choker, so the cam bands are just supporting the floaty end

If I had dedicated SM cylinders I probably would have hose clips, like my stage tanks but not for travel, especially where there is a risk of the hose clip being damaged, where as a cam band is virtually indestructible

Keep me posted on what you think, I'm going back out this weekend to try it again.

There are plus and minuses for Ring bungees. I use them exclusively because I boat dive, and generally because of current it's less than ideal to be faffing at the surface attaching tanks, and where necessary I can board the boat with both tanks attached

The big disadvantage, from a perfectionist standpoint is that ring bungees bring your cylinders a bit far forward, and the tension on them can make it a bit harder to attach the tank too. There are ways around it of course. The optimum setup should be dictated by the diving you do. If were exclusively making shore/platform entries then I'd probably have stayed with loop bungees - but I wouldn't go back now

First day of my sidemount course (which I regretted most of my recent life decisions), my instructor identified that process as “death by a thousand adjustments”. ))
C'mon, it wasn't that bad. Not sure how many SM dives it will take you to be happy with your rig and choices but I have around 500 or so and I am not there yet.....easy peasy

C'mon, it wasn't that bad. Not sure how many SM dives it will take you to be happy with your rig and choices but I have around 500 or so and I am not there yet.....easy peasy

Yeah, i might be exaggerated a bit :D but it seems i am on the way to catching you somewhere around 700ish.

I took my class and used loop bungee but the instructor used ring bungee. I have since switched to ring so that it would be easier to enter the water with the tank(s) clipped on me rather than taking up time having the tanks handed to me. Keep me posted on what you think, I'm going back out this weekend to try it again.

I use loop bungees, but I also have a short leash around the neck I always clip on. All walk in entries (haven’t been boat diving SM yet), but it’s very handy having them clipped to me when I’m getting geared up in the water.

I use loop bungees, but I also have a short leash around the neck I always clip on.

I'm confused. Do you have pics or better explanation?

Something I've not heard of - always happy to see different ideas

I'm confused. Do you have pics or better explanation?

Something I've not heard of - always happy to see different ideas

BB368700-22EA-4F02-BE7F-3105FD6D98CA.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom