Silicone neck seal repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also very interested to see how this adhesive work. As far as I know, nothing will glue to cured silicone, not even uncured silicone itself. I have tried so many products and none works. In my case, it was for DUI Si wrist seals (they are way too expansive and tare way too easy). I eventual went for a different solution. I retrofit Sitech Oval ring onto DUI zip ring. So now I can use Sitech Si seal, which is thicker and tougher than DUI's version. And if I want to, I can go back to zip seal within seconds.

I agree with Tbar about Seaskin. Their Sitech Si seal is priced well enough that I won't bother trying to repair. Bit if you have a DUI zip seal for neck, I would just go back to latex. DUI's Si seal just sucks.

When I was googling to find that Sil-poxy stuff what I learned is that there is a whole community of people who use silicone for a completely different purpose than we do. Some use it for "toys". Some use it for lifelike (and life-sized) dolls. And some use it as part of makeup and costumes. Many of these people end up tearing or ripping their silicon and needing to repair it. Thus, the market for a glue to glue silicone is much bigger than just the few with silicone drysuit seals.

From everything I read in reviews and some forums, it sounds like this stuff really does work. And, supposedly, there is a very specific caulk made by, I think, G.E. that also works and is available at places like Home Depot or Lowe's. But, it costs as much as a small tube of the Sil-poxy, you need a caulking gun to use it, and in the end they all go bad somewhat quickly after opening, so there is not likely to be any advantage to most people in having a giant tube of it.

The tip on the replacement seal from Seaskin is great! When I get my suit done for the Quick Neck system and Kubi fitted rings, I will definitely order some spares for wrist and neck from them. As an aside, a buddy of mine has a DUI suit and I was flat out shocked when he told me what a replacement Zip neck seal costs. Why does anybody use that system?!?! Unbelievable! Especially the wrist seal system that requires you to attach the gloves before you don the top of the suit? That would make me batpoop crazy! But I digress...

The tip on the replacement seal from Seaskin is great! When I get my suit done for the Quick Neck system and Kubi fitted rings, I will definitely order some spares for wrist and neck from them. As an aside, a buddy of mine has a DUI suit and I was flat out shocked when he told me what a replacement Zip neck seal costs. Why does anybody use that system?!?! Unbelievable! Especially the wrist seal system that requires you to attach the gloves before you don the top of the suit? That would make me batpoop crazy! But I digress...

I agree, less than $45 shipped for a neck and set of wrist seals! Looks like that's where I'll be ordering my spares from.

When I get my suit done for the Quick Neck system and Kubi fitted rings, I will definitely order some spares for wrist and neck from them.
I bought the complete units and fitted them myself using heat glue, that I got from Dive Gear Express. I fitted SiTeck Oval wrist set.
Quick Neck Set with Silicone seal-black-standard size - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits
SiTech QCS OVAL Set (Silicon Seal) for DIY fitting - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits
Kubi Dryglove systems - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits
G-Dive Hot Melt Adhesive Tape - 10-inch Donut & 1-inch Strips, Package of 5 sets | Dive Gear Express®

Holy guacamole! 45 pounds for a Quick Neck system with a seal!! That converts to USD$56! DRiS charges $100 for the Quick Neck plus another $60 for the actual silicone neck seal.

I could see maybe installing the neck system myself. But, I think installing Kubi rings on my tri-lam is going to involve making a short neoprene cone to adapt the sleeve diameter to the ring adapter and then glue all of that together. I don't think I'm up for taking that on. For a one-time, permanent installation of something like wrist rings or the Quick Neck system, I think I'd rather pay the pros and have it done right and look good on the first try.

wow, this make me want to change out DUI zip neck to sitech. The whole kit is cheaper than just 1 neck seal. I just don't know how diffidult it will be to remove the DUI neck ring. Anyone has DIY?

wow, this make me want to change out DUI zip neck to sitech. The whole kit is cheaper than just 1 neck seal. I just don't know how diffidult it will be to remove the DUI neck ring. Anyone has DIY?
I have removed the glued-in neck and wrists on a Hollis suit and Whites suit.

Fitted the SiTech to the neck and wrists of the Hollis. I had to enlarge the opening, effectively removing the glued-on seal. I used heat glue and the job was easy and quite quick. For the writ seals I trimmed the old seals off and left the glued on seal. The rings were a tight fit (the Hollis has some stretch) and used heat glue.

On the Whites I have not used the neck system as it is a bit 'bulky' for a smaller female diver. I reduced the length of the arms by about 50mm and fitted the rings. This meant that the diameter of the suit was lager than the ring so I folded a 'dart' into the material and used heat glue to hold the dart and adhear the rings.

I have had not issues with fitting the SiTech rings or neck. I have had some issues with just gluing a new neck seal on the Whites. The White's suit has a standard neck opening that is larger than a standard seal so the seal has to be stretched and then naturally want to contract which causes bunching of the suit material.

So the trick is, if the size is right then install is straight forward, when they vary more work and challenges...A quck measure of the Quick Neck, the suit is cut to about 240mm diameter and the outside of the glue flange of the Quick Neck is about 280mm, that's fitting the unit on the inside of the suit.

Back
Top Bottom