Similan Island Liveaboard Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WHITES Justin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I'm getting ready to book a liveaboard dive trip with my girlfreind and I was wondering if anyone cold give me some suggestions or reccommendations on a specific boat?

I know there are quite a few operations out there, but has anyone had a great experience and awesome service all at a great price?

Thanks

In all price classes there are excellent choices.

It really depends on what kind of boat you're looking for: a backbacker boat or a luxurious boat, bathrooms ens-uite yes or no, small bunks or big king size double bed, cramped with lots of people or an almost private cruise, etc.

Would you mind being on a boat where the other guests speak a different language than you or not?

There are also big differences in the quality of divestaff and boat crew on the boats.

When do you want to go? Do a search in this forum as a few of us have written trip reports.

You might want to check out the Sunrise Divers web site (sorry, not allowed to post the URL yet). They have a pretty good list of the liveaboards available, categorized by budget. I myself did a trip on the Colona VI last October, and it was very good. Excellent crew. The DM (Steve) says that the Giamani, owned by the same company, is nicer than the Colona. Steve used to work for Siam Divers, and made them sound pretty bad.

Here is the website for the Colona VI Diving Thailand - Liveaboard Thailand - Similan Islands - Phuket Diving Liveaboards

I have been diving on the Colona VI for 5 years running. Charted the whole boat the last three years me and my friends liked it so much.

Always great crew, food, diving, and all at a very good price. DM's have always been very knowledgeable about the dive sites.

Plus a small group of divers. Max 14 people.

You have to be careful with the Similians. There are a lot of choices but you do get what you pay for. There are some major cattle boats in this area that can get crowded and they just dump their groups on top of others.

We did a lot of research before our first trip and found the Philkade. We have dove with them twice and we think they are probably the best op out there. There are two trip reports, MultiMedia shows at our website, Aquablue Dreams

Having a good ponder about what you want and what you're willing to pay for will ensure that you have an enjoyable and affordable trip

Thanks for the information. I am planning to dive in Phuket around April 26, 2009 and an seriously considering the Colona VI. It looks like it is the only higher end boat that fits my travel needs. Anyone looking for a dive buddy around this time! I am going on my own.

I'm getting ready to book a live-aboard dive trip with my girlfriend and I was wondering if anyone cold give me some suggestions or recommendations on a specific boat?

Worldwide Dive and Sail is operating an awesome Live-aboard with a very nice and experienced Thai crew. Most of the crew on this boat were employed for years on the "Ocean Rover" (now located in North Sulawesi-Lembeh Straits), one of Thailand's former top live-aboard dive vessels.
Worldwide Dive and Sail trips are not cheap but you will be diving from an unique vessel, with an unique crew and have a truly memorable trip.
Choose wisely, you really do get what you pay for....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom