Similian Islands info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowmouth....thanks for the clarification.

I do have a question for you I see you have dove Irian Jaya, was that the Papua area where Max is located. If so how do you compare the diving to Thailand...Similans of course?

Was talking about both.
I was based in Koh Lak(hope i have the name correct) for 3 days. Koh lak is about 1.5 hr drive north of the airport in Phuket. The Sim Isl are due West of Koh Lak. Sea beas has a good boat that makes it out to the Sims in 2.5-3 hrs. Its a long day. Most of the live aboards start from Phuket
Done 5 dives out at the Similans Isl, then headed down to Phuket to do some day trips from there.
I appreciate the more remote sites to the North may be different.

Will check out my log book to see what sites i did at Sim Isl.
I was there Early Apr last year.
Sea conditions were great. Dead calm.
I had a good time as only part of the hol was diving. I also took in Cambodia/Bangkok and a few nice beaches.
This is just my opinion but i would not go back to thailand just to dive. I am glad i went though.

Was talking about both.
I was based in Koh Lak for 3 days. sea beas has a good boat that makes it out to the Sims in 2.5-3 hrs. Its a long day.
Done 5 dives out at the Similans Isl, then headed down to Phuket to do some day trips from there.

What time of the year were you there?

See my post above i have just edited it.
I dont want to be too negative here..
I was out at Sim Isl 1st Apr- 3rd Apr 07.
Dived out of Phuket 4th-9th Apr 07.

That is heading towards the end of the season. I think the liveaboards tend to stop travelling to the Sim Isl in May.

Bowmouth....thanks for the clarification.

I do have a question for you I see you have dove Irian Jaya, was that the Papua area where Max is located. If so how do you compare the diving to Thailand...Similans of course?

Yep, I went to Irian Jaya (Raya Ampat - 4 Kings) a few years ago and dived it for a month. I was on a small sailing/diving boat and we dived and visited also Kri Island where Max Ammer was located. The diving at Raya Ampat was fabulous : during my trip I saw everything from pygmy seahorses up to giant groupers, from epaulette sharks up to tassled wobbegongs (was even treated on a rare sight of about 50 grey reef sharks together), a tremendous variety of nudibranchs and literally countless species of fish. Most of the reefs were in very good shape with great lush soft corals, fans and hard coral gardens. There were some nice WWII airplane wrecks (P52?) as well. The schooling fish at some sites was mind-boggling especially when the current was running. Diving was often NOT easy though; plenty of current and some serious down-currents and "whirls" as well.

I really don't like comparing divesites with one-another and think the Similans, Myanmar, Irian Jaya, North Sulawesi, The Andaman Islands and even Peninsular Malaysia and Gulf of Thailand divesites all have their own sort of charm and are all worth diving. I for one still love the Similans, even after all those years diving the same sites over and over again.

Hope this will help a bit.

:D

Looking to do about two weeks diving beginning of May around Phuket and a liveaboard in the middle. Anyone know how I can snag the best deal for 10 days of diving.

Yep, I went to Irian Jaya (Raya Ampat - 4 Kings) a few years ago and dived it for a month. I was on a small sailing/diving boat and we dived and visited also Kri Island where Max Ammer was located. The diving at Raya Ampat was fabulous : during my trip I saw everything from pygmy seahorses up to giant groupers, from epaulette sharks up to tassled wobbegongs (was even treated on a rare sight of about 50 grey reef sharks together), a tremendous variety of nudibranchs and literally countless species of fish. Most of the reefs were in very good shape with great lush soft corals, fans and hard coral gardens. There were some nice WWII airplane wrecks (P52?) as well. The schooling fish at some sites was mind-boggling especially when the current was running. Diving was often NOT easy though; plenty of current and some serious down-currents and "whirls" as well.

I really don't like comparing divesites with one-another and think the Similans, Myanmar, Irian Jaya, North Sulawesi, The Andaman Islands and even Peninsular Malaysia and Gulf of Thailand divesites all have their own sort of charm and are all worth diving. I for one still love the Similans, even after all those years diving the same sites over and over again.

Hope this will help a bit.

:D

Thanks Bowmouth sounds like you had a great time in Papua!....I loved it also...that is why I am headed back in Oct!....

Yes what you said helps alot....your still diving and loving the Similans after where you have been diving....Thanks again.

Was talking about both.
I was based in Koh Lak(hope i have the name correct) for 3 days. Koh lak is about 1.5 hr drive north of the airport in Phuket. The Sim Isl are due West of Koh Lak. Sea beas has a good boat that makes it out to the Sims in 2.5-3 hrs. Its a long day. Most of the live aboards start from Phuket

Will check out my log book to see what sites i did at Sim Isl.
I was there Early Apr last year.
Sea conditions were great. Dead calm.
I had a good time as only part of the hol was diving. I also took in Cambodia/Bangkok and a few nice beaches.
This is just my opinion but i would not go back to thailand just to dive. I am glad i went though.

Thanks Kevster for your input....I've also been to a few spots like the Galapagos, Sipadan and Wakatobi...that either the vis was bad, water was cool or the marine life was on Vacation...that I would not go back (unless I got a Fam trip to Wakatobi or Sipadan)....and many people rave about how great the diving is in those locations....It is a hit or miss...I have not made up my mind about Thailand yet...still doing a bit more research....Thanks

Looking to do about two weeks diving beginning of May around Phuket and a liveaboard in the middle. Anyone know how I can snag the best deal for 10 days of diving.
Not many liveaboard boats going out that period. It looks like on this boat the trip of 16 May will be a confirmed trip though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom