Simple Question : Defination of STROKE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackice

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I see many people strugling or not with the range of diving style between DIR or not.

Some people call non-DIR divers "Stroke", now this does sound derogatory but that's not the reason I write, but I can understand that when diving caves, if you are not geared right , thinking right then you don't go in the water. or you don't dive with that person.

Many people are not 100%, but they are working towards it or have found the place that works for them, not every body dives caves but for ocean diving in recational depths some elements of DIR are not essential, yes yes I know some of you believe that all dives should be DIR.

So I'm wondering where the term "Stroke" came from, and what it actual means or refers too.

Is it meant to refer to any diver that is not using 100% DIR approved gear, ie if you are using everything (BP, long hoses etc) but do not use a jet fins are you a stroke?

=-)

blackice once bubbled...

So I'm wondering where the term "Stroke" came from, and what it actual means or refers too.

Is it meant to refer to any diver that is not using 100% DIR approved gear, ie if you are using everything (BP, long hoses etc) but do not use a jet fins are you a stroke?

=-)

"stroke" basically means an unsafe diver wether it be his gear or his attitude or his diving style. I think the saying came from George Irvine although i may be wrong on that.

You will hardly ever hear that word on this board or a dir diver calling a non dir diver a stroke from this board. I have met several DIR divers in person and not once have i ever heard them call someone a stroke. That word seems to fly around like crazy on other boards though.

Nod thanks, was just listening to George I, Bill M and Dan V and they used the term a few times , so was wonder where it came from .... not that it affects anything

Cheers,
=-)

While I can certainly see some of the benefits of DIR diving, I tend to react very strongly to all "true believers" whether the belief be in a diving technique, a religion or anything else. Too rigid a mode of thinking to be truly adaptive IMHO.

I dive with DIR divers, but they are practical folks rather than true believers. I may buy a Halcyon backplate and wings, but will not buy into everything associated with the DIR philosophy unless it makes sense to my particular diving practices as a videographer and research scientist.

So any of you DIR folks that want to call me a stroke, ho right ahead. You've got some excellent ideas (as I understand them) but not any right to criticize other divers who choose different techniques that work for their particular diving needs.

Dr. Bill

Parker Turner coined the term, which derives from "stroking" ones ego - essentially applying to someone who refuses to implement change despite logical reasoning leading to the conclusion that such change should be effected.

This has nothing to do with DIR or non-DIR, apart from the fact that, as used by divers, the term is indicative of an attitude which is contraindicated in DIR.

blackice once bubbled...
Nod thanks, was just listening to George I, Bill M and Dan V and they used the term a few times , so was wonder where it came from .... not that it affects anything

Cheers,
=-)

Yea george seems to use it quite a bit especially on the boards he participates on but i have never met him in person so i have no idea what he is really like. But he is very vocal on his thoughts and straight to the point on the boards. A lot of the stuff he says makes a whole lot of sense. Maybe thats why he is president of the WKPP. :D

lal7176 once bubbled...

Yea george seems to use it quite a bit especially on the boards he participates on but i have never met him in person so i have no idea what he is really like. But he is very vocal on his thoughts and straight to the point on the boards. A lot of the stuff he says makes a whole lot of sense. Maybe thats why he is president of the WKPP. :D

Too right, George has sure a rich history in the sport that I (a new-ish diver) would not have any issues with his use of the word.

In his game a stroke is something to watch out for and avoid at all costs, his game is high risk.

I too have never met him, was listening to audio of him speaking..

lal7176's definition is basically the same as mine - unsafe diver yada yada yada.

DIR and stroke are not mutually exclusive....

* People who claim to be DIR, yet do solo ice dives, are strokes
* People who claim to be DIR, and bash other people's equipment choices simply because it's not made by Apeks, DUI, Halcyon or is a JetFin clone, are wankers, which makes them strokes
* People who claim to be non-DIR, yet dive with well-thought out configurations, within the bounds of their training, and with a safety conscious attitude, are not strokes

that's my jar of pennies worth

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom