http://www.diveheart.org/

Since we're in the donating mood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PETA does good work. They are "out there" but I think we need them to know the truth. Not every organization is going to be mainstream and reasonable and still "get on the radar."

What I do not understand is with the really bad stuff they have on their plate (extreme abuse), why do they focus on things like cows used for team pennings? I used to pen a little and the PETA people thought that chasing the cows into pens was cruel.. those cows sat around all week, eating and sleeping.

But, only some real maniacs could have enough fervor to film the things PETA finds...they provide eyes and ears that play an important role, in my view.

We need scientific labs but some of those spinal trauma monkeys go through too much. I would tend to think that is wrong...too much suffering. Looks wrong, feels wrong.

Poor form when they freed the HIV+ monkey though.

The best purpose PETA has served is to demonstrate just how well free spech works in helping us to play "Spot The Idiot".

I've even seen videos of PETA making videos to show the public, where you can see that what they show was entirely made up by them. There simply is no credibility with people who will do things like that. Then when you learn that they have killed thousands of animals simply because it was more convenient for them to do so, their positions become utterly indefensible & unsupported.

The more I see of them, the more I'm reminded of how much acid people took during the 60's.

Our family already contibutes to PETA and Thanks for posting this thread

And just in case anyone wants to make fun of me in retaliation, I'm a Life member of the NRA. So any PETA types that want to, have at it :D

Wayward Son:
The best purpose PETA has served is to demonstrate just how well free spech works in helping us to play "Spot The Idiot".

I've even seen videos of PETA making videos to show the public, where you can see that what they show was entirely made up by them. There simply is no credibility with people who will do things like that. Then when you learn that they have killed thousands of animals simply because it was more convenient for them to do so, their positions become utterly indefensible & unsupported.

The more I see of them, the more I'm reminded of how much acid people took during the 60's.

Which organisation(s) would you suggest people support if they want to make a difference?

R..

I believe animals should have some rights, such as the right to be treated humanely. But I do not believe that animal rights should be equal to human rights. I see animals as a natural resource, which, like other resources, is sadly treated badly by mankind. We should do what we can to make sure pets, livestock, and wildlife are treated better, but that is NOT what Peta is about. They want an end to ALL uses of animals, from pets to research to service animals.

In addition, they have euthanized thousands of animals, and while it was explained to me that they only did this because the angecies they took them from were not doing it humanely themselves, I have to argue that with a monstrous budget like they have, they should have been able to afford to let the animals live out their lives in comfort.

What do I do? I am currently fostering 10 cats, including the kittens of a pregnant stray who I rescued personally. I volunteer my time 4 days a month at my local no-kill shelter, Whiskerville, as well as maintaining their website, paying their hosting fee, and giving a monthly donation by electronic fund transfer.

We recently paid $500 to have a necessary surgery performed on a 12 year old cat. But that cat likely has another 6 to 8 years left to live a happy, comfortable life. We have separate accomodations for cats with FIV and FeLV. We ONLY euthanize when there is no hope for any quality of life.

Peta claims to be for animal rights, and yet THEY KILLED THOUSANDS of animals themselves???? Hypocracy in the HIGHEST!!!! We are a small shelter, but we do our best with the support we get. I will NEVER support Peta. They do not deserve to call themselves animal advocates, IMHO.

Diver0001:
Which organisation(s) would you suggest people support if they want to make a difference?

R..

IMO, the best organization to support is your local NO-KILL shelter. Many SPCAs and Humane Societies are NOT no-kill. Research your local organizations, and help out one near you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom