Since when did technical diving courses become a thing in your country?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhkim030203

Registered
Reaction score
Here in South Korea, around 2010. Salvage companies and such probably had the technology many years before companies like PADI started opening courses, but due to geography cave diving never really took off here.

It depends on how you define "technical diving". People were diving doubles and decompressing on the Andrea Doria a few days after the sinking in 1956. Trimix was used by Hannes Keller in the early 1960s. Mixed gas rebreathers were sold in the late 1960s. If technology defines tech diving than what armatures do on ScubaBoard is pretty simple compared to this:

It depends on how you define "technical diving". People were diving doubles and decompressing on the Andrea Doria a few days after the sinking in 1956. Trimix was used by Hannes Keller in the early 1960s. Mixed gas rebreathers were sold in the late 1960s. If technology defines tech diving than what armatures do on ScubaBoard is pretty simple compared to this:

Do you have a background in this? (I think you do, which is why I'm asking). I'm curious as to costs per week, and transport costs (to get to Greece). I'd expect it to be an extraordinary amount of money (millions), but if I was an eccentric billionaire (instead of just eccentric), I'd definitely finance it. There's be some awesome pristine artifacts brought up.

And divers were probably informally teaching other divers how to do decompression stops, and later how to use helium, BEFORE formal training courses were offered. But the question seems to be when were formal training courses first offered to the then-recreational dive community in your country.

And divers were probably informally teaching other divers how to do decompression stops, and later how to use helium, BEFORE formal training courses were offered. But the question seems to be when were formal training courses first offered to the then-recreational dive community in your country.
Greek sponge divers were diving air down to 70 meters with hardhats. If they couldn't light a cigarette back on deck, they knew the bends were going to kick in.

Sometimes they got greedy at depth harvesting sponges and paid the price.

I'm curious as to costs per week, and transport costs (to get to Greece).

The last I heard, modern smaller DSVs are leasing in the $150-$200K/day range plus depth pay (for divers) and consumables like fuel and Helium. The smallest that I know of are around 250' or 76m long. The large DSVs in the North Sea are in the $350-400K range and are about 300-350' or 91-106m long.

And divers were probably informally teaching other divers how to do decompression stops, and later how to use helium, BEFORE formal training courses were offered.

I was taught air decompression and discussed HeO2 in my 1962 Scuba Class. We also learned the concepts behind pure Oxygen rebreathers, but didn't dive them.

The last I heard, modern smaller DSVs are leasing in the $150-$200K/day range plus depth pay (for divers) and consumables like fuel and Helium. The smallest that I know of are around 250' or 76m long. The large DSVs in the North Sea are in the $350-400K range and are about 300-350' or 91-106m long.

I was taught air decompression and discussed HeO2 in my 1962 Scuba Class. We also learned the concepts behind pure Oxygen rebreathers, but didn't dive them.
Thanks. I was hoping to get help with some of the logistics planning on that from Bob Hollis, but as we are years away, I'll have to look elsewhere..

Here in South Korea, around 2010. Salvage companies and such probably had the technology many years before companies like PADI started opening courses, but due to geography cave diving never really took off here.

This is a very North American centric forum. Been happening here for ages.

This is a very North American centric forum. Been happening here for ages.
True, but it would be nice to get replies from other countries, since it isn't our intent to be so North American-centric. It's interesting to learn from @dhkim030203 that training agencies started to offer tech courses in South Korea around 2010.

I think I read that IANTD and TDI were first offering tech courses in the US in the early 1990s. But enough about the US of A. The history of tech diving in the USA has been discussed plenty. I hope we hear more from people in other countries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom