Singapore airport help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Satisfied

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, I was wondering if someone could answer a question I have regarding the Singapore airport, as I will be connecting there to Bali from the US next week. I have made a reservation at one of the transit hotels as I will be arriving about 1 AM on a Northwest flight, then departing later that afternoon via Singapore Airlines. The transit hotel instructions tell you to NOT clear immigration and instead go directly to their hotel. However, since I'm switching airlines, I suppose I will need to pick up my luggage, so it sounds like I will need to clear immigration to get my bags. My questions is, will I then be able to re-enter the airport and get to the hotel with my checked luggage? My checked luggage will not be able to clear security (liquids, dive knife, etc). Any help will be most appreciated.

BTW, thank you to everyone who has posted good information on this website. I found the information very valuable while I made my travel plans for my Bali/Phuket dive trip.

In hindsight, I guess I should have put this on the Singapore board. Can someone tell me how to move it?

depends whether you can check your bags all the way through to your final destination. There is a Crowne Plaza (?) hotel right next to Terminal 3 once you're outside the airport. If not, suggest you contact the hotel directly.

Since I'm switching airlines in Singapore and didn't book the flights together, I assume that I cannot check my bags through to Bali.

Ask the airlines if they can check your luggage for you all the way.

I don't know anything about baggage claim at Singapore airport though I have been there three times. I have only done the trip using Singapore and its subsidiary Silk Air so my luggage went from LAX to Manado, North Sulawesi.

Be sure to check out the various indoor gardens at the ends of the terminals. I like the Orchid Garden with Koi fish pond in Terminal 2, on the arrival level (level 2), just below where the transit hotel is.

There is also free Wifi and free computer terminals 24/7 in the Singapore Airport. also a few terminal in the actual departure lounge so you can check email up until the time of actual boarding. Across from the Transit hotel in terminal 2 are some more terminals as well as free access to X-Box Video games.

Also in Terminal 2 on the same level and right near the Transit Hotel is the so-called Movie Theatre which has a big screen TV and theatre seats in a darkened room showing movies from Satellite TV and next to it is an exit to a roof top Sunflower Garden, which is also the designated smoking area. I often go out there when the airport is too air conditioned or when I want to take a nap on the benches in the garden.

There are some restaurants and shops like Burger King and 7-11 that are open 24 hour a day.

One tip, there are located throughout the airport at key intersections in terminal, transit desks, even if you have a confirmed seat for a flight it doesn't hurt to go to the transit desk and ask if there are any better seats (aisle or windows) or seats with more leg room.

Often they will hold certain seats like the ones that face the wall where you can put in a special baby bed, and if not needed, they will release these at the last minute, and you get extra leg room and don't have have anyone leaning their seat into you. It's worth asking.

A note for travelers through LAX (Los Angeles International Airport) . I met some people who checked there luggage in Ireland and were told it would go all the way to Fiji, and luckily they saw their luggage on the carousel at LAX.

Transit passengers need to clear US customs and re-check the bags even if they were "checked" all the way through to Fiji. But no one told them that. There is a special transit desk to the right side in the main international Terminal (called the Bradley Terminal) for re-checking your bags after clearing immigration and customs. Ask in any other terminals.

Satisfied, just came through Changi a couple days ago and have used it enough to be a little familiar.

I believe you may be able to check your bags all the way through even if you get on another airline in Singapore. I am not sure. A call to Northwest should be able to quickly determine that.

You'll be arriving in Terminal 3, that is the international terminal. Confirm that the transit hotel you have reservations with is in Terminal 3 or 2. Your flight to Bali should be going out from Terminal 2. That's how we went in January and where I went for my Singapore Air Jakarta flight a few days ago. Terminal 2 has flights going to most Asian destinations. It's very simple to get from Terminal 3 to 2. They have a little train.

The transit hotel is reasonably responsive to email, or you could even call since they should be there 24/7.

I think that AlanWald comments above actually refer to Terminal 3 rather than Terminal 2 as he states, as I remember everything he mentions, but in Terminal 3. IMHO, skip the Burger King and try something else to get your Asian holiday started. They do take American dollars in Singapore so no need to ATM. I mention that they have a butterfly/native carnivorous plant outdoor exhibit right behind the restaurants. Remember to use seat guru as well to check for your seats. It's a LONG trip.

Hong Kong is your likely stopover. Remember to get your gate number as you get off for transiting as you have to navigate there after going through security checks again. And, at the gate, get in line to get back on, because they don't call out rows, etc despite what they always say. It's cold there too, like 9 degrees C.

Bali's going to be great. Not many places in the world you can take to the sidewalk when there isn't enough room on the road! :)

My comments where strictly about Terminal 2, it's the only one I have been to. Terminal 3 opened after the last time I was in Singapore airport. All the terminals are very similar in terms of what they have except they all have different gardens (Terminal 2 has the indoor Bamboo and Orchid Gardens at opposite ends and the small outdoor Sunflower garden is near the Orchid Garden but upstairs and outside)

If you know anyone in Singapore, there are phones on the walls of the terminal that allow you to make free telephones calls from the airport to Singapore City.

The Duty Free Shoppers (DFS) stores often offer free samples of liquors.

Sometimes they have free live entertainment in one of the terminals.

In Indonesia they are very picky about the condition and age of US Dollars. Best to have crisp newly printed bills. You get a better exchange rate for US$100 than for smaller bills and for clean crisp new bills than dirty wrinkled bills.

Some older bills will not accepted because many older series bills (particularly US$100) have been counterfeited.

Also be sure to ask about the Airport Departure Tax in Bali when you arrive and save some local currency to pay that upon departure. In most other countries the taxes are included in the ticket.

When I was last in Indo two years ago the cost was about US$8 in local currency and was paid at a counter after you checked in but before you enter the security departure area. Each airport charges a slightly different amount so you need to ask.

If you do make a stopover where you are just getting off and back on the plane, be sure to have you carry on luggage well organized so it will not delay you when it gets re-screened in the stopover airport. I carry my reg in a separate regulator bag which I clip on to my carry on bag with snap bolts, so that during the screening I can separate the two bags and easily open the reg bag for them to inspect.

A tip for large airplanes. If you order a special meal, you will be served first I order a vegetarian meal but always specify Indian or Asian vegetarian, which are usually pretty good, if you don't specify you will get the western veg meal which is often over cooked asparagus or boiled carrots.

Aren't all the terminals at Singapore international? Don't believe there are any domestic flights at Changi the country is to small. LOL

You should be able to check your bag all the way thru to Bali if you have the e-tix for the flight from Singapore to Bali. Just show it to them and ask when you check in. If not you will have to clear customs and imigration and then recheck before entering the terminal area.

Also be sure to ask about the Airport Departure Tax in Bali when you arrive and save some local currency to pay that upon departure. In most other countries the taxes are included in the ticket.

When I was last in Indo two years ago the cost was about US$8 in local currency and was paid at a counter after you checked in but before you enter the security departure area. Each airport charges a slightly different amount so you need to ask.

Now IDR 150,000, about USD $15 from Bali. Can't remember from Manado, but maybe IDR 90,000 or 100,000.

FYI, I just confirmed with Northwest (Delta) that they have a baggage agreement with Singapore Air, so I CAN check my luggage all the way through to Bali.

Thanks for all your help and I'll be sure to post my experience at Padang Bai and Tulumben next week.

Back
Top Bottom