Singer Island FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rahab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going to be down spending a week at Singer Island Florida during the holidays and was going to try and get a few dives in with my 12 year old daughter who was just certified this past year. Any recommendations on dive shops/boats that run trips in the area would be welcome.

Thanks....R

Blue heron Bridge is a shallow shore dive. The Breakers Reef complex is 40-60 ft and a boat dive. Start with a BHB dive and check the BHB Trolls thread here..........

Ocean Quest is a great option for you and your daughter. I did 4 dives with my 13 yr old son with Jupiter Dive Center and he loved their boat. JDC will pick deeper reefs though than Ocean Quest will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for Ocean Quest. Sandy is excellent with kids. I've been on her boat many times with both of my kids. She caters to the group on the boat at the time. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Sandys Sunday, Ocean Quest's boat; is made by Island Hopper and they are flat bottomed. If you have any seas if might be uncomfortable except if it's full, then; you won't be able to fall down! It's more than a little difficult to move past the motor cover going to the bow or stern!

Sandys Sunday, Ocean Quest's boat; is made by Island Hopper and they are flat bottomed. If you have any seas if might be uncomfortable except if it's full, then; you won't be able to fall down! It's more than a little difficult to move past the motor cover going to the bow or stern!

I've never really had a big issue gearing up and maneuvering around the motor cover, and my son was fine with it. One of the advantages of Sandy's Sunday for a new diver is not being on board with 20+ divers that you'll find on bigger charters. I've seen Sandy pick spots for surface intervals that get you a little protection when seas are a little rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandy's Sunday is a good choice. Another operator good with newer divers is Scuba Club: however, they do a lot of one tank dives (which might be OK when you have a younger new diver). SC usually puts two DM's in the water.

You can also call Force-E and tell them what you're looking for.... they can make arrangements with many of the boats in the area, though I bet Sandy's Sunday would be at the top of their list. If you want to try the Blue Heron Bridge beach dive, you can also hire a guide from Force-E. If you daughter has not dove in a while, might not be a bad idea to start off your trip with a shallow beach dive to make sure she is comfortable in the water. A few years ago, Mark at Force-E did a refresher course with my sister and then took her on a tour of BHB: it was a really good experience for her.

Pura vida's shop is right on Singer Islane. They have a reasonably nice boat. You can boat dive off the coast there. Or you can dive Blue Heron Bridge. If you dive the bridge be sure to have a dive flag. The local authorities have been known to ticket flag less divers.

Sandy's Sunday is a good choice. Another operator good with newer divers is Scuba Club: however, they do a lot of one tank dives (which might be OK when you have a younger new diver). SC usually puts two DM's in the water.

You can also call Force-E and tell them what you're looking for.... they can make arrangements with many of the boats in the area, though I bet Sandy's Sunday would be at the top of their list. If you want to try the Blue Heron Bridge beach dive, you can also hire a guide from Force-E. If you daughter has not dove in a while, might not be a bad idea to start off your trip with a shallow beach dive to make sure she is comfortable in the water. A few years ago, Mark at Force-E did a refresher course with my sister and then took her on a tour of BHB: it was a really good experience for her.
I've never done a dive with Mark, but I do see his pictures from when he takes new divers to BHB or on ocean dives. I can tell just from what I observe from those pics that Mark is giving these divers an excellent experience.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom