SINGLE most useful thing you have learned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It takes a bigger person to call a dive because they don't feel comfortable with it than it does to "prove themselves" by making it.

It's completely cool to be a sissy. Whether it's cold, depth, viz, whatever. Either you mitigate those things that make you uncomfortable: better thermal protection, staying shallow, using a light; or don't dive in conditions you aren't happy with.

This coming from a guy who froze his butt off today in 75*F waters wearing a 4/3 wetsuit. Tomorrow I'm packing the drysuit cuz it's gonna be some long ones.

Peace,
Greg

There should be Limits! There need to be Limits!

You should have some hard and fast limits that apply to you!

I was lucky enough to drink beers and have conversation with Dick Rutkowski during my 6 weeks in Key Largo. Well maybe really almost 4 weeks; took at least 2 weeks to be invited to "the round table."

When Dick got to know me "well enough" he told me that a lot of the tech divers he knew who had similar traumatic joint/bone history as me (chronic ankle sprains, compound wrist, shattered patella, exploded radius & elbow, completely rebuilt dislocated shoulder... to name ~ half) had nitrogen problems in their joints/bones.

So, I don't do deco diving (other than a couple tiny computer deco's when I had tons of EANx and "cleared" long before the dive ended). It also won't kill me if my three deepest dives to date remain my deepest dives ever; 137' under the USCG Bibb's house, 138' Reef's End, 146' Shark Condo's.

NDL's; I will push many of the boundaries pretty hard, but not the NDL's.

Having someone or something (pet) waiting for you will be good incentive to survive when things go wrong.

I visualized my favorite cat during a moment of extreme task loading and a downward spiral of events that came too close to being my end. It was enough to snap me out of it and address the issue at hand.

I still think of my cats prior to a dive, just as a reminder of how important unconditional love can be.

from my diving mentor

"Slow and Relaxed with Good Technique, as long as you're breathing, everything else is gravy"

Ditto that. As long as I'm still breathing, anything else is just an issue to be resolved.

I would say being safe by knowing how to set up, but also maintain your equipment. If you don't know how to set up the equipment, you can't dive. This is the first thing I learned during my OW course, and it has stuck with me through today.

I would have to say the single most important thing I've learned is to think. This has been so helpful for me whether it's been setting up my equipment dealing with a problem or just telling myself to relax and enjoy.

It takes a bigger person to call a dive because they don't feel comfortable with it than it does to "prove themselves" by making it.

Really also goes to choosing well, "others."

The minute you start hedging on some of the rules you've set for yourself you
may find out why you had that rule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom