SINGLE most useful thing you have learned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As several others have mentioned, working on my buoyancy control and trim has made for a better dive experience and made other skills easier to learn. It is the first skill I really concentrated on, and I was very single-minded about it. No camera, no other distractions, just buoyancy control and trim, all the time, every dive.

The single most important thing I have learned is that there are wayyy to many divers who take the course to get certified but really don't take the time / energy to know the key information really well afterwards. This led me to realize that my role on a dive is to be well prepared enough to save my buddy's life and my own rather than counting on him to help me in case of need.

I got my two boys certed a few years ago and on one of our first 10 dives, one of them ran low on air and we shared on the way back. When we were on the surface, I lectured the poor boy for almost 45 min that just because he was with a DM and dear or dad, he shouldn't be going in the water assuming someone else will keep him safe.

They haven't dove in about 18 months and we are heading to Maui next week so we did a pool re-cert this past weekend. The boys looked at me like I was crazy when I told them two days before that before they were allowed to go to the course, they would have to pass an exam I would give them on the course material. LOL. Poor souls.

I grilled them for about 30 questions (no multiple choice) on things that they need to know cold to save their lives. When / why for different ascents, symptoms of Nitrogen Narcosis, max ascent rates etc. Even though I'm sure they rolled their eyes at crazy dad once or twice, I hope the key message sticks. Before you head into an environment where you can get into trouble, you had better know how to save yourself from a situation before it happens and you had better know it cold as when panic sets in, its not time to start trying to remember the details...

I have dove many times when I have realized my buddy was just following along with the group and it made me realize that if I had to put my life in my buddy's hands, I may one day end up as a statistic.

Stay excited. That same wide eyed "I can't believe I'm breathing underwater" feeling that made you laugh during your open water class. Every dive has something new and amazing to offer, even somewhere you have been before. The excitement keeps you fresh, keeps you thinking, and keeps you from being complacent. When that goes, its time to learn something new or try something new.

By far the most important thing is that YOU are responsible for your own safety. Don't leave your brain on the boat and count on your dive buddy, divemaster, etc. to keep you out of trouble. Everyone is responsible for their own safety. That doesn't diminish your responsibility with buddy diving but it does tell you to stay within your own limits.

Most useful? The one thing I use the most? The one thing that helps the most when things get dicey? They one thing that stops things from getting dicey? Things that help me put food on the table?

It's a nice, thought inspiring question that cannot be answered. Not with one thing anyway.

Thinking is important, but I hope no one learned to think after they started learning to dive.

Things on the top of my list include:

Act like a big bad predator when sharks get aggressive.

Never hold your breath.

No mask breathing.

Self confidence while underwater.

How to recognize divers in trouble (a mask on the forehead has nothing to do with it).

Buoyancy control.

Move slowly.

Match your goal to the dive site.

I dive for fun, don't dive if it's not going to be fun.

Look up.

Look way out.

Look close.

Practice skills.

Be aware.

If a Bull shark seems to be taking an interest in you, get out of the water now.

The single most important thing I have learned, especially this year, is be prepared, don't panic. Maybe that's 2.

DH is a great guy, but he could barely get his fins on in a 3ft spring, holding on to a ladder. I then I noticed a leak coming from my 1st stage. He couldn't get it off because he didn't release the pressure and got frustrated. I had to take my rig off, fix it, and put it back on, while he was huffing and puffing about it. I realize he was out of practice, 18 months and a broken leg, but if I hadn't practiced the doffing and donning in a pool I would not have been able to fix the issue.

I will be getting him in the pool with a tank, and working on skills, etc. I also plan to take rescue class to further my "be prepared, don't panic" mantra.

Heres a couple from my dive instructor. Never run (low) on air and when at the surface never be afraid to drop your weights if your in trouble. I,m a big guy and suck air like a Hoover.

The single most useful thing I learned here was from Aaron a member on SB who said, "Never lose the ability to call a dive, whether you're in 100ft of water, at the surface, on the shoreline, at the hotel or on the boat, if you're not feeling the dive, call it. Many experienced divers lose this ability. You do not have to explain why you are calling the dive and if your buddy gives you a hard time, NEVER dive with him/her/them again."

I've been certified three years and never called a dive until this past August when I called two dives while in MA. His words helped me call the dive and my buddies were super supportive.

The most interesting thing I've learned on this board is that it's possible to make strangers in other parts of the country and the world want to go diving with you.

Back
Top Bottom