Single Tank Wing recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have experience with both wings? Looking at the specs, they seem very similar. I have a 27lb wing from DRIS that doesn't have slots and requires an STA and I'm happy with that. Seems that if 25lb is enough lift you'd be happy with either. Price is about the same... I'd just get the Hog wing and stop over thinking it.

Am I missing anything?

I decided on the hog as it has a bit more lift than the hollis and it is in stock at my lds. Thanks for all the advice

Anyone have experience with both wings? Looking at the specs, they seem very similar. I have a 27lb wing from DRIS that doesn't have slots and requires an STA and I'm happy with that. Seems that if 25lb is enough lift you'd be happy with either. Price is about the same... I'd just get the Hog wing and stop over thinking it.

Am I missing anything?

Not really. The Hollis is a nice wing. I bought one on impulse from LP because of the price.

I was looking at the Hollis S25 a couple of years ago but three things put me off, at the time was also using a Hollis plate.

1) the lower dump valve did not clear the bottom of the plate, not by much but was none the less hitting the plate.

2) The wing I had had some pretty significant folds in the fabric even when inflated.

3) Inspite of numerous centre holes on the plate the wing could only be attached in one fixed position and could not be moved up or own.

Possibly not big problems or even problems at all but they were enough for me to go back to Oxycheq. I also prefer the narrowness of the Oxy, I'm a small guy and with the Hollis felt like I had a rubber dinghy on my back. I never dove the wing so my comments are based purely on superficial aspects.

I suspect I'm just not picky. As long as I don't have some horribly oversized tacoing bungee wings of death, I'm good. The DRIS 28lb does me just fine. The lower dump valve is pretty close to the plate but I've never had a problem using it. There some folds in the fabric but it seems balanced regardless

I was looking at the Hollis S25 a couple of years ago but three things put me off, at the time was also using a Hollis plate.

1) the lower dump valve did not clear the bottom of the plate, not by much but was none the less hitting the plate.

2) The wing I had had some pretty significant folds in the fabric even when inflated.

3) Inspite of numerous centre holes on the plate the wing could only be attached in one fixed position and could not be moved up or own.

I have also noticed this, on a buddies Hollis plate and wing.

I have DSS plates and it clears them. However it does not clear my Abyss plate.

I found it strange that the dump valve on a Hollis wing didn't clear a Hollis plate, on the wing I played with there was about 1.5cms from memory of the opv cage in contact with plate. Although I'm sure it had no effect on performance just seemed like sloppy manufacturing. If you are mixing and matching plates and wings you roll the dice but with a wing and plate from the same manufacturer I wouldn't have expected that.

I know that Oxycheq at one time had the market cornered in single tank donut wings to some degree with their Mach V, but I'm wondering if anyone has surpassed them with any new innovations.

My criteria is the wing has to be a full donut, it has to have slots, and it has to have a 360 zipper or at least a way to access the inner bladder for DIY field repairs.
It also has to have a model range from 18 to 20 lb. lift to around 40 lb. lift.

Has anyone yet tried the Manta Predator wing from Manta industries?
Predator 30 Pound Lift « Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork
Looks like it has it all: full donut, cam band slots, triple mounting holes, easy bladder acces, drain holes...Also 30 lb lift is not yet too big but still a decent lift capacity. Leisure Pro and Northeast have them at a very affordable price. Still would like to know the overall dimensions and the dry weight, no info on their website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom