Single Tank Wing recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found it strange that the dump valve on a Hollis wing didn't clear a Hollis plate, on the wing I played with there was about 1.5cms from memory of the opv cage in contact with plate. Although I'm sure it had no effect on performance just seemed like sloppy manufacturing. If you are mixing and matching plates and wings you roll the dice but with a wing and plate from the same manufacturer I wouldn't have expected that.

Actually the dump valve on my DSS 20 does not clear the DSS plate either. I did not notice this until you brought it up. This could be more or less standard on sub-30 lb lift wings. This does not affect performance.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2013 at 12:14 PM ----------

Has anyone yet tried the Manta Predator wing from Manta industries?
Predator 30 Pound Lift « Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork
Looks like it has it all: full donut, cam band slots, triple mounting holes, easy bladder acces, drain holes...Also 30 lb lift is not yet too big but still a decent lift capacity. Leisure Pro and Northeast have them at a very affordable price. Still would like to know the overall dimensions and the dry weight, no info on their website.

I have wondered about it also but never followed up. You could shoot LP an email asking for info. They are very good at replying.

I was wondering about the current market for single tank wings myself.
I'm getting ready to start up operations with the Freedom Plate once again and will need current info on wings and harnesses.
We need to start a comprehensive single tank donut wing thread that can be turned into a sticky complete with lift capacities, outer dimensions, inner dimensions, slot placement with measurements, etc.
I'm going to need to order a wing and some accessories for a prototype so I'll be following this thread.

Have you looked into the Manta Predator wing?
Looks like a nice wing to me. They don't give dimensions on their site, but based on the 11' distance between the grommets, my on screen rulers says it is about 17,5' x 24', just a little smaller than the HOG 32 (same onscreen ruler). Also triple grommets and decent cam band slots. LP gives 2.6 lb shipping weight. Do you think this will work out with the freedom Plate?

I used to recommend Oxychec Mach V's but I've been out of it for a while and don't know if they're even relevant anymore.

As far as I can tell from Oxycheq's website and wing description by Scubatoys, the Mach V is so narrow because it doesn't have the slots anymore. Also, an STA is not needed. Does this mean the reliability of their setup depends on 2 sexbolts routed through the grommets of the wing's webbing and those of the soft backplate? How reliale can that be?
confused2.gif

Can anybody recommend a decent single tank wing. I will be diving a dry suit in the very near future but currently dive anything from a 2 mil shorty to 7 mil john and jacket. Im not currently tech diving just tired of not being able to find a bc that fits and does not flop around like a fish on my back

Hi Gilchristz,

A bp&w set up is not just for Tech Diving. It is a good choice for all kinds of diving.

If you dive dry in the winter, but wet in the summer, you can easily adjust the harness to fit both. It if you switch to a aluminum back plate, it is a great choice for travel because it is light weight and packs easy.

Best of all, you can switch the wings out to fit the type of diving, and it can grown with you. If down the road you decide to try out some technical diving, then you are already familiar and comfortable with you great...an obstacle many new tech divers, including myself, face.

My personal favorite singles wing is a donut design style. It allows the air to easy move from one side to the other. I like the ScubaPro X-Tek Donut Wing. It comes in 30lb, 40lb, and 60lb. For single tank diving, you should be fine with the 30lb wing. This one seems to be the most streamline.

Hollis C45 Single wing is popular too. It gives you 45lb lift, but some say it has a wide profile.

Cheers,

Have you looked into the Manta Predator wing?
Looks like a nice wing to me. They don't give dimensions on their site, but based on the 11' distance between the grommets, my on screen rulers says it is about 17,5' x 24', just a little smaller than the HOG 32 (same onscreen ruler). Also triple grommets and decent cam band slots. LP gives 2.6 lb shipping weight. Do you think this will work out with the freedom Plate?

As far as I can tell from Oxycheq's website and wing description by Scubatoys, the Mach V is so narrow because it doesn't have the slots anymore. Also, an STA is not needed. Does this mean the reliability of their setup depends on 2 sexbolts routed through the grommets of the wing's webbing and those of the soft backplate? How reliale can that be?
confused2.gif

The wing would still have to have slots for the camband. The sex bolts merely stop your wing flopping around when setting up. I've never used an STA, none of my wings need it. Brings the tank in nice and tight and I've never had the tank move or roll.
The 23# hog wing is a dream in warm water diving - it does suffer from the dump clearance thing that people seem to be hung up on, but it's never caused a problem. As soon as you are in the water the wing floats away from the plate anyway...

Replied using Tapatalk. Please forgive my typing.

This looks like a doubles wing to me.

It is.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2013 at 02:05 PM ----------

As soon as you are in the water the wing floats away from the plate anyway.

My experience also.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2013 at 02:12 PM ----------

Unless Oxycheq has changed the design in the last year the Mach V does have cam band slots in the wing. The cambands thread through the soft plate and through the wing. The sex bolts (I use plastic) only position the wing on the plate. Their setup is as reliable as any other manufacturer. Halcyon wings have no cam slots. The STA is held on to the plate (and the wing by the STA) using 2 bolts with wing nuts. No one complains about that system.

My personal favorite singles wing is a donut design style. It allows the air to easy move from one side to the other.

I'd love to know how this actually works. Gas in a wing *always* goes to the highest possible point, *always*, the laws of physics are pretty stubborn after all.

The lower arc of a donut wing is at the absolute lowest point, i.e. under the lower end of the cylinder(s) for a horizontally trimmed diver.

How exactly does the air move from high on one side of the wing, to the lowest point, under the tank, and back up to the other side while maintaining horizontal trim?

Tobin

$425 for a 30# wing. I'm sure you like the profit margin on this product but is there anything special about it that justifies the difference in price?

The fabric is cured with the tears of angels. . .

$425 for a 30# wing. I'm sure you like the profit margin on this product but is there anything special about it that justifies the difference in price?

Go big or go home. Deep down you want the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom