singles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gee whiz Dandy Don, how did that get posted on this thread? First MarebytheSea and now poor marie (cobaltbabe). By the way, I think Don hit the real nail on the head... is this proposed forum a diver's dating service, or a way to discuss the issues relating to "solo" divers (those without permanent buddies)?

I think there is a vast range of issues that "single" divers should have an appropriate place to post on. The issue of single supplements certainly is one. The opportunity to find a buddy for travel is appropriate as well (although the geographic forums are also good for that).

I have a number of female dive buddies who are NOT "romantically" involved with me in any way. They have husbands or SO's, but we both face the "singles" issues of traveling or diving by ourselves. It isn't limited to "unmarried" or "unattached" individuals. So I don't feel the proposed forum should be limited to singles who are not married, but to single divers.

Naturalsummer- as for barring those from the board who "break the rules," I'd want to be sure there was some consensus as to what the rules were (as I think Natasha suggested). I wouldn't want someone with very narrow standards to set the rules for everyone (nor would I want very loose standards... I'm on SB for the diving info, although I wouldn't mind meeting the dive buddy of my dreams on it too!).

Natasha- no question we should all help to keep it reasonable. Heck, if I want to read sex posts, I can always go to "My First Time" (I thought they meant diving when I "accidently" logged onto it).

Dr. Bill

Gibbon once bubbled...

hehe
h25.jpg

:hehe: :haha: :laugh: :HAHAHA:

drbill once bubbled...
...is this proposed forum a diver's dating service, or a way to discuss the issues relating to "solo" divers (those without permanent buddies)?

I think there is a vast range of issues that "single" divers should have an appropriate place to post on. The issue of single supplements certainly is one. The opportunity to find a buddy for travel is appropriate as well (although the geographic forums are also good for that).

I have a number of female dive buddies who are NOT "romantically" involved with me in any way. They have husbands or SO's, but we both face the "singles" issues of traveling or diving by ourselves. It isn't limited to "unmarried" or "unattached" individuals. So I don't feel the proposed forum should be limited to singles who are not married, but to single divers.
Dr. Bill

Herein lies the real question....should the proposed new singles forum be for "single non-married" people or "single, no dive buddy" people which encompasses both single as well as married people?

Pros:
1. If mixed crowd i.e. single and married...eliminates the concern over people misrepresenting themselves cuz the focus of the forum will not be to 'meet and greet' but rather discuss serious issues pertaining to single/solo divers
2. The topics would stay more focused on the real issues regarding single/solo divers
3. The forum would have more users as by my count we only have about 100 single divers out of the 18,000 on the board! LOL!....er.....make that 100 that have identified themselves. :wink:
4. Not every single non-married diver is looking for a SO so this forum would be more inclusive for them.
5. If 'magic' were to happen between several divers...as I'm sure it has already on this board WITHOUT a singles forum...then more power to ya!! And what a great place to meet other great people!!

Cons:
1. Truely single non-married divers hoping to connect with others of opposite sex would find it harder to know if someone was single non-married or even interested in the possibility of finding a SO unless the profile was modified to suggest otherwise.
2. Well um....er.....I can't think of anymore cons.

So I guess my vote is to make it all inclusive of ALL types of "Singles". We'd still need rules but probably a whole lot less if the focus of the forum was NOT dating but rather discussing the serious issues pertaining to single divers!

I just ran across this thread and it's quite interesting. Here's my prespective on single's diving. I've been married for 30 years to a none diver, she's not interested, no way, no fashion, no how, so basically I'm a single diver and I must say I've never had any problem meeting or getting someone to dive with. I have dive buddies all over Florida, matter of fact, I was diving in the Gulf yesterday with one of my girl buddies. If all one wants is a dive buddy, then I don't see the need for a single's forum. It's easy enough to meet new people to dive with right here with all the forums that are in place now. :tree: Bob

:tribute:
JFK

I certainly seems like it's only some married people who don't want a Singles Forum. Don't understand :huh: do - don't care.

don

Hi Ya'll, well it's been a little while since I posted here, but I recently saw this thread and wanted to say I'm all for a singles forum, however I also think if one is created it should be people who are singles and not married folks who need just a dive buddy... granted I don't have anything against you married divers, I just think the single folks need a place of their own rather than just a thread..

I myself am single and looking for diving buddies, but at the same time since I'm so very new and recently completed my OW Certification on 11/09 it may be more difficult for me as I would need to have someone who would have a lot of patience since I don't have a lot of experience yet.... :)

In regards to the policeing of the forum that wouldn't be a problem at all, because those who are for it in the first place aren't going to let someone come along and ruin it for them, so all will keep a close eye on it.

D

Sham_ba_la once bubbled...
In regards to the policeing of the forum that wouldn't be a problem at all, because those who are for it in the first place aren't going to let someone come along and ruin it for them, so all will keep a close eye on it. D

Add a few basic rules to this and I think she's got it!! We have worked so hard to get a singles forum that I don't doubt that the users will be highly motivated to keep it!!!

Wreck Wench once bubbled...

Add a few basic rules to this and I think she's got it!! We have worked so hard to get a singles forum that I don't doubt that the users will be highly motivated to keep it!!!

Yep, we surely wouldn't let some jerk come along and mess it up for us.. I'm sure we'd all work on keeping it clean and safe for everyone..

Hey all!
After reading the previous posts there seems to be a general concensus that the (future) single´s forum shouldn´t be a meatmarket (duh!)...
As to the solo/single diver question my suggestion is that threads in general should be for solo´s and particular threads (tagged somehow) be for single divers...
That way single/solo divers who aren´t thinking about finding SO´s on SB will still feel that the forum is for them while being able to avoid threads that don´t interest them (as we all do elsewhere on SB)...
Personally I don´t believe in rules, regulations or prohibitions about who gets to go where or do what as most of these are so easy to get around anyways...
That being said I think the general rules for SB should apply and that due caution should be exercised by posters in the singles forum as elsewhere on SB...
I´m a firm KISS -believer (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Safe diving and here´s to creating a shoal of solo/single divers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom