Singpore in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey thresher, where have u disappeared to? :wink:

great tips voln - sounds like u explored singapore quite a bit, u sound almost local in fact

some comments:
newton hawker centre is good for selected food. whilst seafood elsewhere is better, u must try their stingray (oops and on a scuba board?) - all the locals go there after late nite partying for supper and stingray - yummy yummy. the sambal is fab! the other stalls such as the carrotcake, char kway teow and satay are good too. always check the prices stated on the boards of the stalls - that way they cant overcharge you, avoid ordering stuff like fish or lobster which is charged by the kg - better to go to east coast seafood centre then. and yes, be careful of the hawker touts who zoom in for the tourists, and who offer u a seat. usually they expect u to order from their stalls, but at a hawker centre u can just sit anywhere u want and not be obliged to order from the stall u are seated in front of. FYI, if anyone lodges a complaint against the newton hawkers for touting and overcharging, they can lose their license (which has happened) so i doubt they will cross the line.

taman serasi is fab but it has already been closed down - the hawkers will move into serangoon gardens at or near chomp chomp towards the end of this year or early next year. Oh dont forget to check out the hawker centre at East Coast - further down the stretch from the seafood centre - it has great satay and other yummy local food. Some other good hawker centres: People's park (outram road), redhill hawker centre (going there for dinner 2nite), amoy street market, tiong bahru market, ghim moh hawker centre, hill street hawker centre. do try the sugar cane juice - my fav! Here's a website listing of all the great food - listing of hawker centres, restaurants rated and recommended by the locals themselves.
http://www.makantime.com/

MRT is the best way to get around. Instructions are easy to read, and you can actually walk and explore the area around each station. At some bus stops, there will be boards which explain the route each bus takes - but the best is still to ask the bus driver. or u can log onto the Singapore Bus Service website to do a quick search on the buses that stop by the place u wanna go - if u r not too familiar with the area, ask the bus driver to tell u when it's time for you to get down.
http://www.sbstransit.com.sg/

try not to dress too skimpily?? heheheheh now this is really funny, what exactly do u consider skimpy?? almost alll the gals on the street these days are wearing spaghetti tops, halter necked tops etc. no topless sunbathing of coz, but other than that, even if u wear a bikini top and parade around, i dont think people will freak out :wink:

do have fun, and let us know if you need more info!

Cheers,
ADG

p/s thresher - yum yum yum, ditto to black pepper crabs, and dont forget their chilli crab, baby squids, sotong you tiao, yam ring scallops, chilli kang kong *slurp*

:bounce:

Now you folks just got me interested to come down south.

Originally posted by Asiandivergal
great tips voln - sounds like u explored singapore quite a bit, u sound almost local in fact

taman serasi is fab but it has already been closed down

Yes, ADG, I am originally from Singapore but have lived in the US the last 6 years - I'll write more once I recover from the shock that TS has been shut down by them bonehead authorities!

V.

Kate,

Your first post mentioned you might be headed to Okinawa for some diving. Not sure if that is still in your plans or not.

Can't help you much with Singapore, but I live on Okinawa (and dive here quite regularly). Have been to the Karama's several times.

Let me know if you are still stopping by here.

Welcome to the board from me in Thailand...

What's diving in Okinawa like? I imagine quite beautiful.

Your nickname is what my mother calls either me (Alison) or my sister (Sea Squirt aka Cat) when she gets our two names confused!

Hope to see more of you around here.
Cheers

WoW! I've been away for a few days and look what happens! This is amazing! Thank you all sooo much for your information. It's going to take me a while to digest it. ADG, Voln, SaltyWhale, Thresher, we should try to plan a night for food & cocktails while I am there.

The group I am with has grown from three to six now. We are all divers and plan to spend at least a few days on Tioman Island.
I am not sure how much actual diving we will do. I think that I will take a diveskin+mask/fins/snorkle and rent the rest of it.

AliKat... I doesn't look like I will make it to Okinawa in March. I'm a little bummed about that. I was there last April & had a great time! I did a few dives off of the Tsunabi(sp?) Seawall and I want to make it to the Keramas.

-Kate

Alas, Kate, I won't be there as I now live in LA - but have fun and say hi to the gang there for me!

Scubakat - no prob! Just let us know when u will be arriving, and I will send you my contact details, so that we can work out a scuba boards/divers gathering :wink:

voln - oops :p i hate to be the bearer of bad news. well yes, taman serasi is gone, just last december. There was a big public outcry when the govt announced it coz there was so much fond attachment to the place - if you want to know the full details, i can email you coz i had worked on the public communications programme.

BTW, Maxwell Market has been renovated - the old favourites are still there, but it's so much cleaner now - though i still prefer the old hawker setting.

Originally posted by SaltyWhale
Now you folks just got me interested to come down south.

whatever for?? KL has better hawker food!!! :bounce: we will make a trip up instead :wink:

Hey!, ASG,

Alison must be out there by now. Good Will Hunting on your own Similan trip, can't wait to here all about it. Love to see ya dive with lucky Neil.

Sim. Phuket & Phi Phi this Christmas, You , Al and Sea Squirt, come over and make it special.

Neil

Back
Top Bottom