Sipadan Closing at End 2004 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaFox

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm or deny whether all resorts on Sipadan will be closed by Government order effective end of 2004 ?

DeepSeaFox once bubbled...
Can anyone confirm or deny whether all resorts on Sipadan will be closed by Government order effective end of 2004 ?

I am not sure of the date exactly but my understanding is that there will be no more accomodation available on Sipadan but you can still dive there. There will be a limit of 80 divers per day at Sipadan. Of course you can stay on Mabul or Kapalai which are only about 15-20 minutes away from Sipadan by speedboat.

Why are they closing the island? Is it because of the turtles?

I've definitely not heard that - as far as I know operators are still planning trips out there.. that 80 divers a day thing on Sipadan has been in operation for a while.

I think this is mere gossip..where did you hear it from, DeepSeaFox???

I heard the same thing 2 weeks ago while I was on a dive trip to Lankayan Island. Apparently the Malaysian federal government has given the 5 island dive operators an ultimate that they need to consolidate they physical plants (diesel-generators, septic systems, water systems, etc) into a single shared system. Currently each dive operator operates their own plants so there are 5 separate sets of facilities on the island. They have also been directed to clean up all of the abandoned boats, buildings, trash heaps, etc. There is also talk that they have pumped so much fresh water from the island that they have comprised the fresh water "lens" and now have to ship in fresh water for drinking and cooking.

From what I heard, the 5 operators have not be able to reach any kind of agreement on how to combine their operations so the federal government is starting to push the issue of closing the island but the Sabah state government does not want to do this and is doing everything it can to prevent it from happening.

Personally, I think closing the island to on-island guests for several years would be the best thing that could happen to it. I first went there in '94 and last in '01 and the island really went downhill in those 7 years.

Rickg

seaslug once bubbled...

I think this is mere gossip..where did you hear it from, DeepSeaFox???

Second hand, but from someone working on the Island as a divemaster.

Unfortunately there were no specifics, hence the question here.

I read somewhere that they are doing it to conserve the coral reefs. Also they might reduce the operator down to 1 to make it more exclusive.

Hmm, suddenly the M'sia government is taking an interests in natural conservation. I really wonder what's the catch. I am sure the main motive is to make their resorts more exclusive and hence charge premium dollars for the amenties.

it's all about the $.....my friends.

JacknJill once bubbled...
I read somewhere that they are doing it to conserve the coral reefs. Also they might reduce the operator down to 1 to make it more exclusive.

Hmm, suddenly the M'sia government is taking an interests in natural conservation. I really wonder what's the catch. I am sure the main motive is to make their resorts more exclusive and hence charge premium dollars for the amenties.

it's all about the $.....my friends.

Heard from the dive operator themselves in June that no more resort on the island, that’s why Borneo diver has a new resort on Mabul Island now.

Is a good idea as the island is overcrowded but I do not know the time and the catch. 80 divers is a joke, there are definitely more than that number on the island.

I really think this is a good idea. I was there in 1999 for two weeks (stayed on Mabul island) and I was not very excited about the reefs. The turtles, barracudas and jacks were great but the reef really was adversely affected by the divers (and of course by the resorts' sewage) as there were a lot not capable of holding neutral buoyancy crashing into the reef or with gloves touching everything.

They should give the island a rest, maybe it will fully recover in some years... The number of resorts was far too high. It was the government's own fault to authorize them all just to make more money...

Look at the Maldives - they do ecologically friendly business (as far as this is possilbe), there is only one resort on one island and they all have more or less the same size than Sipadan.

Maybe this is the reason why there are some new diving islands emerging ... like Mataking...

I dived sipadan in '99. When I was in sabah I became good friends with david from city park inn packpackers in KK. Just a few days ago he told me sipadan is closing, so it looks like it's true.
There is good and bad in this. It's good because because the island was not looking the best in '99, the stench of sewerage was in the air. But on the other hand, there is nothing like waking up on the island, and diving in 600m of water, straight off the beach in front of borneo divers! one of the best experiences of my life. They should get their **** together (the resorts) and come up with better envinonmental practices, then they might be able to stay.

Back
Top Bottom