Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were schedule to go last month but in view of the recent events, we headed the State Dept warning not to go there.

~SubMariner~

What recent events?? Didnt the last unfortunate incident happened like quite some time ago??

havent been there recently, but a diving friend told us that security has been stepped up on the island. Seems like lots of people are still going there to dive, and I will still deem it safer than going to Philippines or Indonesia (certain areas).

Was at Sipadan 2 wks ago.
All looks fine to me with the police on the island as well as marine around. But kinda quiet though, apart from my group just that couple of people around.
Walked around the island, same goes to the neighbouring resort.
Diving wasnt as good as I expect. No big stuffs, no barracudas
but school of jacks was a consolation.
Still a lovely place to be at but must say that it was quite some travellin to do to get there.

Cheerios

now that is really weird - everyone i have spoken to always rave about Sipadan and the huge schools of barracudas are always there! this is the first time i have heard that the diving is not as good as expected hehe

a wee bit similar to my recent trip to similans - there were no sharks at all! there were few big fish encounters, and we were a little disappointed. Wonder if the the popular spots are being overdived, or what??

hmmmeee.....I was at Sipidan in 1999 just 14 days before the "incident".......back then there was huge scools og Baracudas, many sharks and TO MANY Turtles. Fish stuff was amazing but the coral had been killed though blitzing (to high sea temperatur).

BTW......I was diving though Brono Divers and got a really good price by go by there shop in KK (the capital of Saba). I assume you still can get a good price by go to there office personaly. I paiyed around 2200 RM that is about 520 $ wich at the time was around half the price!!!!

KBN, Denmark

yup, my friend went to Sipadan and "complained" about the turtles - she found herself bumping into so many turtles, she actually had to nudge one or two away gently when she "bumped" into them heheheh

KBN, how many days did u pay for and what does the price include? If i am not mistaken, my friend paid around 2400 - 2600 RM for 5 days, excluding airfare. Do u mean that they have different rates for those who book from overseas vs walk-in customers? I think that's quite risky, what if u happen to go during the "peak" period and everything is fully booked?

Tribalshark - who did u booked your trip with, and how much did it cost?

It was for 5 nights and 6 days the last day only 2 dives!!!!

I walked in the dive shop in KK the capital of sabah and said I was told you could get special rate if you had the time to stick around and wait......I booked right away with no problem to the above mentiont price.......and ofcouse it was without any flights......had to take buss to Tahoa or something!!!!

All the other had payed full price = double price so I shoot my mouth up.....for not hurting anyone!!!

KBN, Denmark

Hiiyaa... was with Borneo diver ... norm Ave's US$100/day
my price similar to wat KBN mention

Such a beautiful plc ... minus the travelling and hefty price...PUrrrrfect. :bounce:

Hi Folks

Glad that you all loved that place. I onced worked at Sipadan, was there for 4 years plus. Love that island, have lot's of fond memories.

Anyway, would like to offer tips and suggestions about Sipadan should anybody need any. I still go there 4-5 times a year but not for work. Just for Holidays or help (yup for free) out the resort when they are over booked during the festive season.

Tribalshark, by the sound of it, you probably was very unlucky. You should try make an effort to go again.

Cheers..!

And for your info on safety, Sipadan Waters is very safe now. They have approximately 8 groups of uniform personels guarding that area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom