Six weeks in Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have wrangled 6 weeks off from early December to mid Jan. I want to do one LOB and two resort locations. I enjoy macro a lot (photos, etc) but want to mix it up. Also, I’ll be in Asia over Xmas- I’m not a religious person at all, but I will be missing my family so I’d prefer not to be isolated. I will not have a limitless budget but I’m not backpacking either.

Thoughts so far:

- Raja Ampat LOB 12/13 days - could use recommendations
- Alor - have heard the currents are insane?
- Papua NG- any recommendations?
- Back to Lembeh for some macro
- could go do my rescue diver in Bali where I’ve been a few times now and love the Geko crew

Hive mind, give me your collective thoughts!!

EDIT: I have been to Bali several times and been to Padang Bai, Tulamben, Menjagan, Permuteran, etc. Ambon, Bunaken, Lembeh. Philippines: Puerta Galera, Anilao, Dauin, Bohol, Moalboal. Thailand just Phuket.

Maat1976

Last edited:
For mid range in Raja check out the Mermaid or Raja Manta, there are lots to choose from besides these for more$ and less $, but these are go to operations.

Alor-some day I'll get there but @Luko is an Alor expert.

PNG- got $$$$$?

With that much time returning to Lembeh is a no brainer. And if your into macro have you done Tulamben?

PNG not Asia (sorry pet peeve) but I'd certainly recommend Pindito and Tambora LOBs

Alor - peak currents are around Oct/Nov - but Alor tends to always be heavy on the currents comparatively - It depends on how comfy you are with currents I guess. Alor usually closed Dec - March due to rainy season.

Have you considered Bangka in N Sulawesi just across from Lembeh?

Last edited:
PNG not Asia (sorry pet peeve) but I'd certainly recommend Pindito and Tambora LOBs

Alor - peak currents are around Oct/Nov - but Alor tends to always be heavy on the currents comparatively - It depends on how comfy you are with currents I guess. Alor usually closed Dec - March due to rainy season.

Have you considered Bangka in N Sulawesi just across from Lembeh?

Will check out PNG LOB, sounds like Alor is out. Strong currents, with a camera, for me is a no. Bangka is now on my list for research / maybe I can split Lembeh and that.

For mid range in Raja check out the Mermaid or Raja Manta, there are lots to choose from besides these for more$ and less $, but these are go to operations.

Alor-some day I'll get there but @Luko is an Alor expert.

PNG- got $$$$$?

With that much time returning to Lembeh is a no brainer. And if your into macro have you done Tulamben?

Have done Tulamben and it is not out of the running, but I do live in SG so have been going regularly. Thanks for LOB recommendations. :)

Oops sorry that was unclear - Pindito and Tambora are both Indonesian LOBs that I have nothing but good things to say about - Febrina seems to be the go to LOB in PNG but I can't give a personal testimonial as I've only ever done PNG on private boats.

Luko would best be able to give an opinion on photographers needs - I'm a current junkie but Bangka is most definitely doable in combo with Lembeh. I personally like Murex dive there. There are current and downcurrent prone sites but other camera people would best know optimum time of the year - no camera, no care lol!

Alor : forget it from mid december to mid march. Best from land operations, tricky currents but the land ops know them (while liveaboards are not so much at ease), sometimes can be challenging but often rewarding and hey... if you want good wide angle shots, you need fish and open polyps, then you need current. Macro dives are usually more sheltered, so it's not really a bother.

Bangka : certainly not the good period of the year, too much wind and waves, some good macro sites maybe closed (like Paradise 2).

Good time for Ambon that has lots of macro to show but also wide angle reefs.
Raja Ampat will be nice too, some operations like the one on Batanta is more macro focused.

At that time of the year I wold rather travel the Phils, since Indo options are limlted unless you want to backpack easternmost parts like Maluku and Raja Ampat.

For mid range in Raja check out the Mermaid or Raja Manta, there are lots to choose from besides these for more$ and less $, but these are go to operations...

Those are good choices. For budget range, check out Putri Papua or Sea Safari VII

I’d go to Raja Ampat in early December, then spend late December in Komodo & remaining vacation in Bali.

I’ve been in Komodo with Tarata twice. Once was in late December. The other one was in June. Third one was with Mermaid I roundtrip Bali-Komodo-Bali in August. All three trips to Komodo were excellent trips.

Home Stay at Raja Ampat is an cheap option and you can opt for two or even three islands to dive/stay.

I would recommend checking out Diveadvice.com for availability. Raja Ampat is great diving, but availability can be an issue. Amira is a great LOB, huge beautiful boat, great crew. I used them a couple of times in Raja.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom