Sizing and fitting issues with Taurus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Token

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm about to take the plunge with a Taurus semi-dry [yeah, pun intended :dork2:]. My LDS says that if the suit I order doesn't fit, of course they won't charge me for it, but I want to avoid all that and get it right the first time. So...

Are the sizing measurements as posted on the Waterproof website accurate? I'm closest to a ML+ size, but I think we are all aware that posted sizes aren't always that accurate. Has anybody had any issues or variations with their Waterproof suits? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance...

Hi Token-
The published size charts at the US site are correct, not sure which site you have been referencing. The charts can be found here.
We highly recommend downloading the Measurement Guide and having proper measurements taken, then refer to the size charts. TheTaurus should be worn snugly and not with a lot of room.

Thanks WP-USA - While I'm sure the company measurement charts are accurate, I was interested in people's real-life experiences. In any case, you can be sure I'll be measuring _very_ carefully for the ordering of my own suit...I just hope my dimensions are a good match for the Taurus.

In any case, you can be sure I'll be measuring _very_ carefully for the ordering of my own suit...I just hope my dimensions are a good match for the Taurus.

Aaaaaand....it"s a no-go. Apparently people with my height [5'10"] and weight [225lb] aren't supposed to have 50" chests. :no:

Off to Plan B...

That is going to be a tough dimension to fit... My problem is usually shoulders (huge from 10+ years of volleyball) and a 44" chest. Same height as you. I use a size Large Taurus and I can't imagine it fitting bigger than maybe a 45-46" chest TOPS.

Assuming you're not super triangular shaped have you looking in the "Large Plus" size? If that won't work you're likely looking at custom or going drysuit (where you have some more flexibility in sizing)

Assuming you're not super triangular shaped have you looking in the "Large Plus" size? If that won't work you're likely looking at custom or going drysuit (where you have some more flexibility in sizing)

I'm not precisely "super triangular" but aside from my freakish rib cage I'm pretty much dead on the ML+ sizing, and going larger would probably mean too much space for the semi-dry design to work for me...too much space for chilly water to invade.

The source of my situation is that I plan to do weekend trips to the BC coast to dive in the summer. I can get there for a few days at a time, and I would rather avoid the large investment of time and money in a drysuit. Of course I could do the drysuit course and rent, but then I run into the whole sizing issue again...will I be able to get a rental drysuit that fits me properly? [I have pretty large feet too...it is a true fact that I'm not so much overweight as under-tall :eyebrow:].

So -- Plan B is a Bare 7mm Elastic...I know the XL-Short will fit me since I have a Bare 3mm in the same size and it's bang on. I should be able to layer it with a hooded vest or even a Thermolution t-shirt if the 7mil isn't enough.

I really was looking forward to the spiffy Taurus semi-dry however...:depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom