Skeleton found in diving gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Ed:
Wow. They said the body was found at 200 feet... I guess that's why they didn't run up a buoy to locate the body later.

I wear dog tags. Would they last prolonged exposure in salt water conditions?

I have an engraved brass tag that is attached to my BCD.

usgi dog tags should work great. I just don't know where mine are!

I put my name, city and blood type on it.
if you have any alergies, that would be another item to make sure you have annotated.

I think I'll get one of those plastic bone-shaped dog tags from the pet store and put my name and DAN number on it. :)

Actually, that ain't a bad idea... I think those tags are about $6 and engraved plastic should be plenty sturdy.

I would expect a DAN tag to last quite a while, too...

I hope not to sound callous in saying this. This thread has got me thinking.

I’m wondering about the practicality of nametags while diving as opposed to nametags in general. If we assume they are for cases like this one where a diver is lost in the water for a long time after an accident, couldn’t we also say that this is good identification practice for everyday life when any number of things could happen where a person might turn up missing for a long time?

If that is true, that would mean a person should wear these tags always, like some people wear medical alert bracelets. That would be a monstrous inconvenience for a person like me. On top of that, the constant presence of them would seem a bit morbid.

The thought process is a bit of a stretch, I guess. First I have to consider a dive accident which would kill me. Then I have to assume my buddy would lose me as well. Then I have to assume that subsequent searches will turn up nothing either. Obviously these things seem to have happened to this poor soul.

For me, I’d rather put my efforts into trying at least to make sure I come out alive rather than thinking about how they will ID me if I suffer an accident and am lost later on.

A lonely way to go.

Just a thought. Not meant to be confrontational.

Cheers!

I think using an ID tag on my BCD is great. I could loose the BCD, hopefully by way of leaving it on the boat or near my car and someone could return it to me. A DAN ID is a good idea. Not that I want someone to find me 200'. My thoughts go out to the family, what a terrible thing to not know where your loved one is for so many months.

Dadvocate:
I hope not to sound callous in saying this. This thread has got me thinking.

I’m wondering about the practicality of nametags while diving as opposed to nametags in general. If we assume they are for cases like this one where a diver is lost in the water for a long time after an accident, couldn’t we also say that this is good identification practice for everyday life when any number of things could happen where a person might turn up missing for a long time?

If that is true, that would mean a person should wear these tags always, like some people wear medical alert bracelets. That would be a monstrous inconvenience for a person like me. On top of that, the constant presence of them would seem a bit morbid.

The thought process is a bit of a stretch, I guess. First I have to consider a dive accident which would kill me. Then I have to assume my buddy would lose me as well. Then I have to assume that subsequent searches will turn up nothing either. Obviously these things seem to have happened to this poor soul.

For me, I’d rather put my efforts into trying at least to make sure I come out alive rather than thinking about how they will ID me if I suffer an accident and am lost later on.

A lonely way to go.

Just a thought. Not meant to be confrontational.

Cheers!

No too far of a stretch. I thought I read further up that the guy that initially located him was a solo tech diver. Now you would only have to think of a dive accident that would kill you, because there would be no buddy looking for you.

Rockjock3
No too far of a stretch. I thought I read further up that the guy that initially located him was a solo tech diver. Now you would only have to think of a dive accident that would kill you, because there would be no buddy looking for you.

Fair enough point for some, but I don't dive alone. And it isn't a practice that I intend on taking up any time soon.

Cheers!

lets see ... small tag with some identifying information that may help save your life or identify you in the event of a horrible tragedy.

or not.

thats kinda akin to not joining DAN (or your favorite insurance) because you don't plan on having an accident.

I'm pretty confident that no one wants to use insurance, but if you ever have to, you'll feel damn well lucky when you have it! (and conversely, if you don't, you could be paying for it for years)

I would recommend a tag that has at least the following:

Name
blood type
alergies and/or medical conditions that could effect treatment(s) if any
DAN or other insurance number

just in case. you never know.

having a tag doesn't mean you're a risk taker.

what if something happens on the boat (explosion, fire, collision, what ever) and you and or everyone is rendered unconsious?
what if ...well we could list a whole mess of "what if.." scenarios, I think you may get the point that a few little things may be the difference between life and death or closure for your loved ones. No one wants to be injured or die (I hope). Be your own advocate.

Well, I look at it a little differently then than Dadvocate. I wear tags because I do a lot of things that other people might consider dangerous and when I am doing those things I am usually not wearing any other form of ID.

In my regular everyday clothing I usually have a wallet or something to identify me if something should happen and my husband needs to be contacted or my medical history needs to be looked up.

When I am out running, climbing, biking, diving etc., I usually don't carry a wallet so there is nothing for medical personal to go on if they can't get information directly from me. It's just a safety precaution I like to use.

I do trail races, and they can be kind of dangerous, the trails are narrow and rocky and a runner is easily tripped and hurt. Lots of cliffs and stuff. ID is a good thing to have on you. Same with Diving and other activities. I don't think of it as morbid, just another safety precaution.

I was actually thinking about this, because I've started doing some walks in various places near my house -- I drive to the beginning of the walk and park and then go. But I haven't been carrying any ID on me, and it occurred to me that if I got hit by a car (a possibility on these country type roads) nobody would have ANY idea who I was. It may be morbid, but having worked in hospitals, I know we would get people in who sometimes remained "John Does" for days before anyone missed them or reported them gone.

It's just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom