• No, but I enjoy sitting in the base lodge and drinking

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Absolutely NO: Screw this snow thing, I'm going south to dive

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm just curious about how many Lobstah Divers out there ski as well. It's just getting to that time of year. Ski buddies, although not absolutely necessary for the sport, make things oh-so-much more interesting. :cold:

If you ski, reply with your favorite mountain in the area.

PS -- I thought of asking Shellbird to start the poll for me, but I thought I'd give her more time to recover fromt the get-together. :wink:

Skiing is definately my first love. I taught at Nashoba all through high school and college. Since college my skiing has dropped dramatically, with only a couple non-racing days out.

For just going out and skiing, Killington is by far my favorite. If I'm looking for a miserable experience that I'll forget about 10 months later and repeat, then Tuckerman's Ravine is the favorite for that [although it took 13 months to forget two years ago, so I didn't get up there last year]. If we're talking about racing... I gotta say Nashoba...

A couple friends of mine started racing in the Adult Team Racing league [at Nashoba] 9 years ago. Last year I started another team on Monday nights as well... This year I'm planning both teams; and also USSA Masters racing on the weekends.

When I get my butt in gear to get everything set with Masters, I'm going to pick a couple of the weekends to stay over saturday night, and then I'll try to see if there is interest for weekend get-togethers... [of course, this is all contingent on if my damn LSS ever finds that other binding that I paid for!]

So... you asked the questions.. but where are your answers?!

I went skiing only once, almost 11 yrs ago. Pretty fun from what I remember. Somehow just never got around to it again. I've been thinking of giving it another try, but gotta find someone who's as inexperienced of a skier as I am to buddy up with.

Spectre, when you go skiing this winter, will you be wearing your NELD hat? :D

-Roman.

...but I've never been on a pair of skis...nor do I plan on it. Breaking bones is not high on my list of priorities. I'll dive in frigid water, I'll fight in karate tournaments, but I won't ski. You'll have to wait until the next NELD diving expedition to see me :)

notabob once bubbled...
Spectre, when you go skiing this winter, will you be wearing your NELD hat?

Hehheh....

Uh...no :)

Actually, I _rarely_ wear hats anyway...

... and if you see me with a helmet on, most likely you don't want to go on the slopes; cause it means I'm actually scared :wink:

"Dude... where's your helmet?"
"Why?"
"Have you looked at the course... I want your helmet"
"It's cold... what'll I use?"
"Here's a hat... gimmie your helmet!"

It was so icy that day that if someone went out with hockey skates they would have done better in the race!

I'm a good enough intermediate skier to ski agressively on the trails I'm comfortable with and occasionally tackle an expert trail.

Sunday River is probably my favorite mountain for real trips, but I'll sometimes hit Wachusett after work for night skiing.

notabob once bubbled...
I've been thinking of giving it another try, but gotta find someone who's as inexperienced of a skier as I am to buddy up with.
-Roman.

My skis are borderline antique Blizzard Firebirds, so I usually rent anyhow. Since it costs about the same, I think I'm going to try my luck on a board this season. I've only done that once, in the slush at the end of the season. If you're looking for a rank novice to pair up with, I might be able to accomodate you.

MSilvia once bubbled...
If you're looking for a rank novice to pair up with, I might be able to accomodate you.

That sounds doable. I might take you up on that. Should be an interesting sight, anyhow. We should all try to organize a NELD ski trip. Split up on diff. trails, and then take over the lodge afterwards.

-Roman.

notabob once bubbled...
We should all try to organize a NELD ski trip

Here is the definates that I'm doing:

Jan 4th & 5th - Killington
Jan 19th - Suicide Six
Mar 8th & 9th - Sunday River

I'm planning on crashing saturday night on the Killington & Sunday River ones...

As for the rest of the schedule, it's here and if anyone is interested in any of the dates/places, let me know with enough advanced notice [a couple weeks] so that I can get my race application in.

Spectre once b*tched...
So... you asked the questions.. but where are your answers?!
Sorry, I had to run off and do something after I posted the poll.

This ski season will be my 21st season. After blowing out my knee (ACL) while skiing in eight grade, I decided the *best* thing I could do for my health was to start racing for my high school. We used Bradford Ski Area... which is a mere pimple on the North Shore of Mass. Much to my parents shagrin, I joined the Mt. Washington Ski Team in NH. [Almost got suckered into skiing Tuckerman's a few times... keyword being almost.] Being able to ski in college was a qualifier for what school I choose. I ended up as Colgate's Ski Team President which mainly consisted of making sure stuff got paid, skiers didn't get arrested and representing in the bar.

For ski areas: my folks used to have a place in North Conway so I did a lot of skiing at Cranmore, Attitash, Wildcat and some at Sunday River and various places in New York State. My favorite for racing is Attitash. For free skiing my fav is Cannon (just cause they are cheap and have pitch). Vail has better scenery and altitude + alcohol = more buzz for your buck.

It's such a weird transistion come back to rec skiing after racing for so long. So Spectre, I need to get more info from you on racing after college.

None of my friends ski, so if anyone wants to go play someday, get in touch with me.

And helmets are at least good for deflecting beer bottles.

Back
Top Bottom