Skills to practice Wreck/Deep Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I made it a year of diving and have had a great time. Next year I want to focus on skills to be a better diver. I've heard of Advanced Wreck Penetration, which sounds interesting but I prefer to spend the next year diving and getting experience over certifications. I currently have Wreck and Deep certifications and next year I plan on doing a series of deep and wreck dives. Besides buoyancy, what are some skills or things I can practice to be a better wreck diver? Besides practicing CESA, what are some contingencies I can also practice at depth. Many thanks.

For any diving requiring you to explore enclosed spaces that might have silt, you want to have kicking mastered. That includes regular frog kicking, modified frog kicking, modified flutter kicking, helicopter turns, and even back kicking. Working on those will take a lot of practice.

Advanced Wreck is a tech class. All the instructors I know that teach it require the student to be in doubles/sidemount/rebreather and be deco certified minimum. It’s not a class you take after having dived one year with no tech background.

And what the others said about no silting propulsion - frog kick, etc.

No need to work on CESA. Work on the skills that prevent you every getting into that situation. To add the what everyone else has recommended, work of gas management. But mainly just enjoy diving and getting more and more comfortable in the water.

What everyone else said plus gas sharing in tight spaces if you’re going to be penetrating wrecks. Might want to get a long hose.
You need proper training for that, or it is going to be a shyt show.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Gently, comrades. Gently.
A bold but honest question from a second year diver.
The OP may not yet know how brutally honest y'all can be at times.

Glad you asked, @Tigerpaw !
Every single comment above was valuable info.
Take the hard edge of some comments and know that some folks were brutally honest because this next step has a bit of a jump in risk to it.

You'll get lots of good (and some bad) advice on this forum. Just have a thick skin. And get a second opinion. My 2 cents? Learn the term "Rock Bottom Pressure".

Back
Top Bottom