Skills to practice Wreck/Deep Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I taught the SDI recreational wreck class it was a minimum of 6 dives. The focus was always on buoyancy, trim, and non-silting kicks to start. That was the 1st two dives.
Next we worked on swimming around the wreck with the goal of surveying it while identifying all possible hazards. Those were the ones around possible entry and exit points as well as those on the outside.
Depending on location wrecks can turn into death traps on the outside as well.
Monofilament line, nets, etc. Work on your powers of observation as well as situational awareness. Don't get so focused on skills that you lose sight of the environment.

I would watch a student doing a survey and then casually loop a length of line around the fin strap buckle or tank valve and see how long it took for them to notice and then the reaction. Most times it took way too long for them to notice the 1st time and then they would invariably move in such a way (rapid twisting motion) that if I had no let the line slip off them as a real line trap would do, they'd have been tangled quickly.
Work on moving slowly and stopping to slowly turn and look behind you to see what may be going on.

Following that dive 4 would be mapping it using a slate or wetnotes.
Dive 5 would be line handling on the outside.
Dive 6 would be a short penetration using a line with proper tie offs and swimming through a spider web I'd build inside the wreck. With goal of moving slowly and avoiding getting entangled. Or making the decision that going further was not wise.

Then of course I'd swim into it and spin so that they got practice in helping a buddy get untangled.

Best compliment I received on the recreational course was a student telling me it showed him why he had absolutely no business inside a wreck without technical penetration training.

I had others tell me had they taken the course earlier there were DM's and guides they would never have followed into some spots.
Wow, didn't think about hazards such as monofilament line. You've given me a lot more to consider and think about.

Wow, didn't think about hazards such as monofilament line. You've given me a lot more to consider and think about.
If people fish in the water around the wreck, there's a good chance that it's there. And it never goes away unless it's removed. Along with the hooks attached to it if they are stainless steel. Often it can look like a string of algae that you can ignore. People do and try to swim through it. Then it gets wrapped around the tank valve or other item that is the biggest pain the butt to get it off of.

plenty of good advice already given-a few things that i would add is-

build up your skills and experience so that you maintain a good mental comfort zone ie dont get in over over your head. Finding yourself close to your limit has a tendency to go pear shaped when even small things start unravelling. When that happens people tend to start rushing around and stirring up silt which makes the situation more complicated and stressful. Mental strength is not something you arrive it, its cumulative, each dive builds on the next but if you like being challenged then theres always a more difficult dive to do. You cant jump ahead, youre maybe on page 3 rigth now - you cant jump to page 57 without going through the other pages first

secondly really work hard on your line skills. I cant emphasise this enough! Get a really good reel not a cheap crappy one, get good line that is not too thin, and practice practice practice. Laying a good line is akin to an art from and when ( not if ) you get in a tricky situation having a good line to follow when your on the edge of losing you sh*t is a godsend. You need to train your eye to spot a good tie off and know what type of wrap your going to do before you get there. You also need to think about returning and how the line will be positioned on the way back. Speed and efficiency will come with practice.

Be quick but dont rush, enjoy the journey and dont be too mission oriented that you miss cool stuff along the way. Sometimes the more interesting things are the small details, Ive seen diver go from point A to point B and missed the best bits because they are slightly stressed and just want to get it done and get out

edit - buoyancy skills are the foundation upon which all other skills are built -get his sorted until its automatic and doesnt require any effort

Contact my friend Mike Gault, who is in Austin. Schedule some time with him to do Intro to Tech, which will introduce you to anti-silt techniques, improve your buoyancy, and get you set up in tech gear (doubles).

ctxscuba@gmail.com, 512-689-5546.

I can see finning, buoyency and line skills as being essential to tech wreck diving, but why doubles? If you are getting an hour plus of bottom time on a largish single tank and have a pony, how are doubles, especially small doubles, any better?

I can see finning, buoyency and line skills as being essential to tech wreck diving, but why doubles? If you are getting an hour plus of bottom time on a largish single tank and have a pony, how are doubles, especially small doubles, any better?
Redundancy.

Twinsets give you more gas. This means that in case of "issues" -- there's lots to choose from -- then you've more than enough gas to get to the surface.

A tiny pony -- 3 litres -- is too small for a slow, safe, low-stress ascent in an OMG moment. Will a 40 have enough gas for your leisurely ascent?

ali40 = 5 litres at 200 bar = 1000 litres. Previously we'd calculated that you'd need pretty much all of that for an ascent.

2 x 12 litre twinset at 220bar = 24 x 220 = 5280 litres. In other words loads of spare gas. Plenty even to help others during their OMG moments.

Same for sidemount where there's two completely redundant systems; you breathe them down and periodically swap sides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom