skin bends in Coz.,,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello wldick:

Dive Limits

I would not worry so much about the 60-fsw limit since you can increase your gas load at any depth. If you wanted to definitely limit the nitrogen dose, dives to 40 fsw or less are beyond the maximum with scuba gear.

Valsalva-like :11:

While the authors of the referenced paper did not include it, straining movements are also a problem. I generally recommend against these since they are known (from NASA and other historical work) to be bubble generator.

Medically, such straining movements (e.g., climbing, lifting) have been implicated in precursors to) vein-to-artery) stroke. For divers, gas bubbles fall into the same category as small blood clots. [One big difference is that gas bubbles will resolve much faster than blood clots do. ]

Dr Deco :doctor:

Hi Dr. D

so, stay above 40 fsw even on Nitrox ? and why 40 fsw ?

how about a closed circuit rebreather ? wouldn't that also limit the amount of nitrogen introduced into the body ?

thanks,

j.waldick

Hello waldick:

Depth Limit

Sorry, I did not mean for you to stay at 40 fsw or shallower, only that there is nothing “magic” about 60 fsw. At sixty feet you can easily reach the table NDLs on scuba gear, at shallow depths the limit cannot be reached without surface supplied air. [Thus, you can never “max out” your gas loads when you are very shallow, unless you go to heroic procedures such as having a supply of scuba cylinders sent down to you.]

Rebreathers

Nitrox (with air diving NDLs) or a rebreather would certainly reduce the nitrogen dose.
One must also avoid those stressful activities that both contribute to bubble formation/growth and arterialization

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom