Skin Damage to Hands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterMedic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I hope this is the right forum, seemed to be a medical issue... After spending an hour or so in the water, especially with repeat days under the water my hands are taking a beating. After the pruny skin goes away a lot of tissue is peeling away and there is skin irritation and bumps. I've experimented with a few lotions to help the healing and the Norwegian Formula Hand Cream works pretty well. I've tried with gloves and without. My question is, what can I do to help prevent this problem with the skin, and are there good prevention mechanisms?

Info about me:
28 Years old, fairly new diver. In good health overall, for reference, my search of the boards found a post here and a couple of other mentions but Not a lot in the way of prevention/treatment. So, any sage advice/wisdom for me? TIA

Try rubbing castor oil into your skin thoroughly, it is cheap and has amazing properties, if you get it at a drug store it will be about $6 for 4oz if you get it at a health store or online it will be about $6 for 16oz. It is a secrete ingredient in some lotions, also is thick and does not wash off easily. I have used it for poison ivy, dry spots, rashes and everything but constipation. Give it a try.

Alaska fisherman use purex, he is 95 and his hands are smooth, still uses it today.

This sounds like a reaction to some toxin. Where are you diving, and what type of thermal protection are you using?

I've gotten the reaction in both a fresh (non chlorine) diving pool and the waters of Hawaii and wearing a 5mm wetsuit, gloves and no gloves, same skin reaction. This is also localized to my hands. The rest of my body seems fine. My feet are pruny but aren't itching or peeling. And it clears up w/in 24 hours after leaving the water

I've gotten the reaction in both a fresh (non chlorine) diving pool and the waters of Hawaii and wearing a 5mm wetsuit, gloves and no gloves, same skin reaction. This is also localized to my hands. The rest of my body seems fine. My feet are pruny but aren't itching or peeling. And it clears up w/in 24 hours after leaving the water

Are you exposed to any chemical hazards topside that might make your hands more sensitive? Do you have any health issues?

No chemical hazards and no health problems my hands get dry sometimes but other than that, nothing. It clears up before I can get it looked at but I will take some pictures next time it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to try aggressive moisturization (two words you don't often see together!) for a few days before you dive, and in between dives. I'd recommend a product like Eucerin/Aquaphor (in the tub, not the dispenser) because it doesn't have any added scents or other potential irritants. If it continues to happen, a visit to a dermatologist would be in order.

I'll give it a shot, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

I use "Bag Balm" (get it at the feed store) and kevlar gloves (at least here in Hawai'i).

Back
Top Bottom