Skin for under wetsuit!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubalaux

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All!
I am looking to purchase a skin or very thin wetsuit for under my 5mm suit. I could use just a little bit more warmth and thought that this would be a good option.
I am wondering if anyone has experience with these types of suits and what you would recommend. There are a few on LP from $35-$80- one is 1mm and one is less, both by Henderson. Anyone know of a good brand or if the Henderson suits are quality?

Thanks in advance for your imput!

The $35 Neo Sport by Henderson Lycra skin has served me well under my 7mm for the past year or so. I tend not to use the skin in colder weather, though, as the skin is cold and clammy between dives. Note that this is an issue with all skins and not just the Neo Sport.

I use Aeroskin. I originally got it because I had a 7mm wetsuit that was really hard to put on and Aeroskin made it really easy to pull the suit on. It adds maybe 0.5mm of warmth but what I like is that it adds also UV protection. (I might need 5mm in tropics but I also need some extra sun protection with fair skin).
What's also nice about Aeroskin is that unlike lycra skins, it's made of way tougher material, so it's not floppy. You can actually walk around in it because it tucks you in :wink: The suit holds on really well too. Mine is going on strong and I know one guy who just got a second one after using his for 10 yrs (he's a guy...)

Their main site seems to be under but here is one site that features them

Diving Duds :: Polyolefin :: AeroSkin Polyolefin Jumpsuit

Generally Henderson is considered to be good quality but I don't think thin lycra suits per se add much warmth. Also take into account that if you buy anything very neoprenish to put under your suit it might be really hard to pull your other suit on it. Might be worth trying in the shop before buying.
Consider vests too, they are great way to add warmth.

Back
Top Bottom