Skin problems when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anna1990

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I learnt to dive last year and I've been loving it ever since. I'm fortunate to live in SE Asia so we can get to some fab dive sites pretty easily and cheaply.

Although I love diving my skin does not and within a few days of returning from a trip I get the worst breakouts on my shoulders and face. I always rinse in fresh water as soon as I get out of the sea but beyond that does anyone have any tips to help my skin? I don't sit in the sun between dives and I don't use anything different to what I use day to day the only difference is I don't wear any makeup but surely that should be good for my skin?!

Irritatingly my buddy's skin is improved by the water and he always looks great after we get back from a trip.

Is it from the water or is it from your suit(s)? There're quite a lot of people with some kind of allergy for neopreen. Maybe you could try to dive another wetsuit made of another fabric?

I don't think it's the suit because it's on my face and shoulders but no-where else. Shoulders are covered by the suit but it doesn't touch my face. I also only recently got a wetsuit - before that I'd dive in a rash vest and leggings.

I learnt to dive last year and I've been loving it ever since. I'm fortunate to live in SE Asia so we can get to some fab dive sites pretty easily and cheaply.

Although I love diving my skin does not and within a few days of returning from a trip I get the worst breakouts on my shoulders and face. I always rinse in fresh water as soon as I get out of the sea but beyond that does anyone have any tips to help my skin? I don't sit in the sun between dives and I don't use anything different to what I use day to day the only difference is I don't wear any makeup but surely that should be good for my skin?!

Irritatingly my buddy's skin is improved by the water and he always looks great after we get back from a trip.
Anna. Just to clarify. By "breakouts" do you mean acne like reactions? Does similar breakouts occur at other times? And what helps?

Sorry to hear. That really sucks. I'm like your buddy. My skin actually improves after diving.

If it really is acne and not some kind of allergy, perhaps you could try a gentle mud or clay-based mask shortly after diving to pull out any impurities that may be stuck and causing the acne? Just a suggestion.

In case you did not follow my link above, it was to "sea bathers eruption." Google that and look at the pictures to see if that is what you are talking about.

Thanks guys. Yes, it's an acne like breakout. I don't think it's sea bathers eruption as it takes a few days to come on and isn't itchy or painful - just unsightly. Normally my skin is pretty clear.

I do have a clay face mask that I like so perhaps I should take that and use it every evening I am diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom