Skipper dies during Fire Department dive - Mahaiula Beach Park, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Hawaii Island officials are investigating after a dive boat captain was found dead in waters off Mahaiula Beach Park.

The Hawaii County Fire Department said a crew member told authorities the captain had stayed onboard during a dive and was missing when they got back.

The captain’s body was later found about 30 yards offshore, following a search of the area involving a fire department helicopter.

Authorities are conducting an investigation to determine the exact cause of death.

Relieving himself and fell overboard? It happens.
Happens a lot. If I am alone on the boat, I am wearing my life jacket. Zero exceptions.
Hard to swim with your pants around your ankles because you were pulling a warhammer from the bow rail.

Happens a lot. If I am alone on the boat, I am wearing my life jacket. Zero exceptions.
Hard to swim with your pants around your ankles because you were pulling a warhammer from the bow rail.
Well, that's an image that won't be leaving my mind soon. :vomit:

Condolences to family and friends. I have dove of that boat many times over the years including this past May. Always a good time so sad to hear.

Relieving himself and fell overboard? It happens.
If that happens is there usually a way to get back up on most boats (aside from having a ladder)?

If that happens is there usually a way to get back up on most boats (aside from having a ladder)?
This particular boat is pretty easy on and off as it is set up for diving only and the stern is open with a latter.

Depends on the boat, but I'd say the answer is NO more than YES unless you are pretty strong and limber.
I found out the hard way that mine was a royal pain to climb back in when the elevator was in the stowed position. I had to climb up an outboard.
I have since added a secondary controller just above the engine pod. Now it is easy to lower from the water or ground while it is on the trailer.

Depends on the boat, but I'd say the answer is NO more than YES unless you are pretty strong and limber.

It also depends on what and how hard you hit on the way to the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom