Skipping surface intervals - DIR or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I noticed a lot of the dive package include 2 dives a day. I'm guessing it's because divers in Egypt prefer long surface intervals whereas I don't use them as per GUE's procedures.

For example, if there's a good dive site, then after my dive I might prefer to grab fresh tanks (and a fresh DM) on the boat and then immediately head back down for seconds. Would this be a problem in Egypt, or are they relaxed about different ways of diving, including DIR diving?

*Floater*:
I noticed a lot of the dive package include 2 dives a day. I'm guessing it's because divers in Egypt prefer long surface intervals whereas I don't use them as per GUE's procedures.

DIR divers don't take surface intervals?

TheDivingPreacher:
DIR divers don't take surface intervals?

They are not required if you did a proper DIR ascent and are in good shape, etc. At least that's what I was taught in DIR-F. The idea is to off gas underwater on ascent rather than on the surface. But you are required to do a very slow ascent with deep stops, so it's not like you are gaining something for nothing.

I've read lots on bubble theory and deep stops, deco curves, etc. But have never seen a reference indicating that 24+ hours of off-gassing could be condensed into one ascent.

Think of all the dive time I've been wasting with SIs all this time, I might have to sign up for this DIR thing now.

StSomewhere:
Dunno, I was taught to do a 90 minute SI for an MDL dive, and specific techniques if the SI is shorter than that.

The rules may have changed since you took it, or maybe different instructors teach different algorithms. Since the rules aren't made public anywhere (as far as I know) you more or less have to blindly trust your GUE instructor if you want to follow them. However, I'll let people here know if I get bent following those procedures...

This SI question is essentially the same one I posed here.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom