Skipping surface intervals - DIR or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well regardless of whether people here think SI's are a good idea or not, I would rather not use them on some of my repetitive dives - that's just the way I've decided to dive, I don't advocate it for anyone else.

I'm just wondering if the dive resorts in Egypt tend to be understanding about stuff like that, or do they require customers to dive their way?

Same applies to doubles. If I want to use doubles on regular NDL profiles, will they be cool with that or have people here had problems with these types of special requests?

By the way, I'm probably going to some place cheap in Hurghada if that matters.

After reading TSandM's post along with input from UP and Doc Intrepid I get the gist of your deco plan. I don't know how anyone in Egypt might react when the best way you can describe it is "blind trust" in your GUE instructor.

Personally when I'm about to go someplace new (especially if I want to have doubles available to me when I get there, unless you're taking yours with) I try to make contact with the local shops. Keep looking until you find one that can accomodate you.

When I say doubles I just mean 2 tanks instead of 1 - I presume all dive ops have that.

About the deco plan, forget DIR, let's just say that I show up with a very liberal computer, and insist on diving it because I trust it. Would the that be okay with the dive ops, or would they insist I dive according to their computers or tables instead?

I mean, is it common experience for divers there to be told 'no, you've had enough, no more dives for you', even when their computers would still let them and they want one more?

*Floater*:
When I say doubles I just mean 2 tanks instead of 1 - I presume all dive ops have that.

About the deco plan, forget DIR, let's just say that I show up with a very liberal computer, and insist on diving it because I trust it. Would the that be okay with the dive ops, or would they insist I dive according to their computers or tables instead?

I mean, is it common experience for divers there to be told 'no, you've had enough, no more dives for you', even when their computers would still let them and they want one more?

Depends on where you go. If you dive with someone like red sea diving safaris in places that allow you to control your own diving then they don't give a rat's bottom what you do or how you do it as long as your brain is engaged.

If you want to dive like you're suggesting then I would suggest going to Marsa Shagra. Total freedom and the recompression chamber is 5 minutes drive from the house reef.

R..

jonnythan:
"Don't do surface intervals" is most certainly not DIR.
Neither is blindly trusting the instructor ... one of the strengths of GUE instruction is that there is a valid, logically defensible reason for everything they teach.

"Because (your favorite GUE instructor) said so" is NOT a valid reason to do anything. If your instructor does not explain the process to you in a way that you understand, and that you can articulate in a sensible fashion, don't do it. Because the odds are you misunderstood something to the point where you'll misapply it ... and end up hurting yourself.

Blind faith in instructors is one of the most common complaints I have ever heard DIR-trained divers make against the mainstream agencies ... I only wish I had a buck for every complaint I've ever heard about "Trust Me" dives.

I shudder to think that GUE instructors would condone the same thing ... and the day it happens, I'll be trading in my DIR rig for a stab jacket and pony bottle ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When I said blind trust I meant blind trust in that your GUE instructor taught you the min deco rules correctly since they aren't written down anywhere. That's all. And to be honest I did ask about it on a DIR forum just to double check.

Obviously there are other types of trust involved in deco diving (even NDL deco diving) since most of us don't fully comprehend these models or human physiology even if we are given a brief explanation of the off gassing process. However, I don't see how that aspect differs between someone who dives according to GUE's table versus another who dives according to PADI's tables or thier computer. In the end most of us decide to accept (not blindly, but still) what we are taught by the various dive agencies, and see if it works by diving accordingly.

NWGratefulDiver:
I shudder to think that GUE instructors would condone the same thing ... and the day it happens, I'll be trading in my DIR rig for a stab jacket and pony bottle ...
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And if this thread continues, I'm gonna give up diving forever..........

George Lucas anyone?

Anyone?

Bar Scene, anyone?

I think the guys at TDS would know, I'd ask there. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom