SL-1 and 10-22 lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dannybot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody tried this in the Ikelite housing? I contacted Ikelite and they said they had not tested it with their housing or the dome that comes standard.

I am looking at upgrading my G-12 and the Ikelite SL-1 package might be just the ticket, if the 10-22 would work. If I stay with Ikelite and Canon I could use the SL-1 body as a topside backup and I already have the ultrawide lens and an Ikelite strobe. But if the lens doesn't work, then it might be more cost effective to change everything and go with an Olympus EM-5 mk ii.....

Most Canon SL1 Ikelite housing users (me included) if using a wide angle rectilinear opt for the less expensive (and also tested sharper) Canon 10-18mm EF-S IS STM lens. The older Canon 10-22mm may fit with an extension on the dome but the zoom ring is located such you'd need to set one focal length.

Be advised both of those lenses (Canon 10-22m and newer 10-18mm) due to the large front diameters need to be inserted through the front then seal the port. Ikelite's DLM (Dry Lock Mirrorless for this small SLR housing) seals easily but you do have to assemble it that way.

The Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye is smaller and can be slid right in from the rear attached to the Canon SL1 camera body. Also both rectilinear (flat field WA lenses, i.e. NOT fisheye lenses) will exhibit some soft corners compared to tack sharp corners with the Tokina 10-17mm.

I prefer the Tokina myself for ease of use.....Or the much under rated Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS STM "kit" lens. I've even given presentations showing photos taken with nothing BUT the kit lens.

David Haas
Haas Photography Inc.
Ikelite and Fantasea Dealer and ACTUAL User :)
www.haasimages.com

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom