Sleep or lack there of

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or...there is turkey. You can eat this by yourself. There is something supposedly sleep inducing about turkey meat.

On the wine front, too much may cause you to wake up at 3 am and curse us all.

But exercise may be the best idea. Take the kids with you. A walk may work for them, too.

getwet2:
Sex............oh wait........maybe that just works for us guys.

Really, next time you are trying to sleep and can't, pay attention to what you are thinking about, it might be this that's keeping you awake, you might be worried about something and it's nagging at you. Try thinking about something you enjoy doing or about good times you've had in the past, just keep your mind occupied with something other than daily problems.

Works for me and the wife :eyebrow:

seems it not just our "lips" that are the same..... I feel your pain girl! Relax, sleep will come soon (although not soon enough). Maybe you need a vacation to Florida :D (wait til the hurricanes leave)

Oh Marie,
There is nothing worse then laying in bed tossing & turning. I too, have problems falling asleep. It is especially hard, because on the days I work, I have to get up at 2:30A to be at work at 3:30A On my off days, that's my bedtime.
What sometimes works for me is making mental lists of things. Counting things is good too. When I was pregnant, I'd make 'Butterscotch Milk' A little brown sugar, vanilla extract & warm milk. It worked very well & was yummy too. Didn't taste like warm milk at all.

starfish365:
hey there Cobaltbabe....sorry to hear about you not getting zzzzzzzzzzzz's.....

NeoCitran with a shot of brandy, whiskey, rum...whatever - it'll help you sleep and knock the snot right outta yah.

I highly recommend a good cry...I find it exhausting and relieving at the same time.

neocitran is a medicine. i wouldn't recommend medicine with alcohol. there have actually been cases of old ppl i think dying from drinking neo citran (maybe excessively or wrongly or with alc, i don't know the details. a swiss rumour maybe). good for a cold, but i wouldn't drink it with alc.

Has you tried to sleep with socks? It helps me when I cannot sleep because I have gone to bed too late (body temperature, especially feets, naturally drops down, and it becomes too uncomfortable to sleep)

One of the things I heard that helps if you work hard during the day is to:

1) Get a notepad and write down all the frustrations you've been dealing with
2) Take those notes and bunch them up furiosly and toss away
3) Take a warm bath and/or drink a warm cup of tea
4) Lower room temperature just a few degrees

The idea behind this technique basically goes with the idea that you want to release built up stress along with the theory that sleep can be helped when the body is forced to cool off because of warm liquid immersion or ingestion. It also helps if Hurricane Ivan isn't sitting just SW of your position.

Almost forgot...If you believe in Feng Shui remove signifcant amounts of red/orange/yellow from the bedroom. These colors are too warm and active for sleeping.

getwet2:
Sex............oh wait........maybe that just works for us guys.

I was afraid to say it... I wanted to but I didn't know if it would get me in trouble around here.

Scbababe is right though, a quicky won't due, you need a couple hours of it but I always float right into a good solid sleep after a good session. Maybe after your dive this weekend you can work that in. :D The two are a powerful combination for wearing one's butt out. Hahaha

PS did anything help last night? Oh yeah that Sleepytime Tea is great. I use it and it is wonderful. (I dunk Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies in it though.)

R

underwater daphne:
neocitran is a medicine. i wouldn't recommend medicine with alcohol. there have actually been cases of old ppl i think dying from drinking neo citran (maybe excessively or wrongly or with alc, i don't know the details. a swiss rumour maybe). good for a cold, but i wouldn't drink it with alc.

I would think ppl who use excessively like half a bottle with it....nothing wrong with a little shot.

works for me and I'm good....I think...yup

I just read this thread and...wow, I feel for you cobaltbabe. I will go through cycles when there are weeks I barely sleep more than 3-4 hrs/night. My body feels physically exhausted, but my mind can't stop racing. I dwell on things from the day-to-day worries to philosophical ponderings. I am starting a regular Tai Chi class in the evenings next week, so I hope that will help with some of the problems. I do agree with those who recommend exercise, though. Many of the days that I spend more than an hour at the gym, forcing myself to become utterly exhausted, I sleep better. But, I understand you have limited time, so I would agree with the idea of taking the kids out for a stroll or some other form of physical exercise with them-my nephews always sleep sound when I take them out for an evening walk or some play time outside. Good luck to you, and know that on the other end of the continent, someone else is wide awake too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom