Sling bottle question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt,

Do you mean you backmount the deco bottle nestled in between your doubles?

Or attached to one side of a single tank or your doubles?

If you use two decompression gasses do you backmount one and sling the other, or mount one bottle port and one starboard?

As they are deco bottles, I assume you could reach the valve to close it if necessary wherever you locate it...but I'm not sure if you mount the bottles valve-down to be able to manipulate the valves or not. How do you do valve drills?

Not trying to be contentious, just trying to conceptualize how you work things.

Doc

matt_unique:
As with most everything with diving, mount it where you want it recognizing the advantages and disadvantages. I prefer to backmount my deco bottle. The advantages to me are less clutter in front and the counter balance is not as pronounced. I use Sherwood regs so it's stays on and the amount of gas lost is negligible. The entanglement accessibility compared to sling is a disadvantage (because it's behind you). With my system I cannot remove the bottle. I would never remove a bottle anyway so this does not represent a disadvantage to me. If someone needs to borrow my gas they probably need me (or benefit from having me) close by as we ascend.

Some people think the location of your mount determines the purpose of the gas but it does not.

--Matt

What if you have more than one decompression bottle? We almost always have two and sometimes three.

Can you reach the valve the way you mount it? I've been on dives where some one has a free flow on a deco reg. If it's slung it's a simple matter to feather the valve and still be able to use the bottle.

If your going to do it, keep it on your main cyl, upside down, turned off, this makes it easy to turn on, remember you should never need it, use a Quickdraw mount, they make it asy to remove (With a lot of practise), if you are using it your not planning your dives!! :yl2jump:

Doc Intrepid:
Matt,

Do you mean you backmount the deco bottle nestled in between your doubles?

Or attached to one side of a single tank or your doubles?

If you use two decompression gasses do you backmount one and sling the other, or mount one bottle port and one starboard?

As they are deco bottles, I assume you could reach the valve to close it if necessary wherever you locate it...but I'm not sure if you mount the bottles valve-down to be able to manipulate the valves or not. How do you do valve drills?

Not trying to be contentious, just trying to conceptualize how you work things.

Doc

Understood, no problem, the profiles I am doing allow me to use a single HP steel 120 with an H-valve and 1 deco bottle. Deco bottle mounted upside down on the right side of my primary tank so I an operate the valve. At present I have a Sherwood reg so the air stays on.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom