Slipstreams Rock!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rynomar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got back from a trip to Bonaire with my OMS Splitstreams. This was my first real dive trip with the fins and they are great. I am a recent convert from Atomic Split Fins and I really enjoyed the control of the paddle fins. I was able to easily back up off the reef, scull, and really get going fast when I needed to.

I am not saying anything negative about slpitfins, just that the paddle fins do have alot to offer.

Just out of curiosity, what size boots did you wear with Atomics and now what kind of how big do you wear with the slipstreams?

I am using the XL Slipstreams with Size 11 Deep Sea 5mm booties and large OMS spring straps. The fit was just a bit too tight for me initially, so I replaced the padding on the spring straps with nylon and the fit is perfect. I don't think the pads increased the comfort level by the way.

If I had it to do over, I think that I would have gone with the XL spring straps or possibly tried the XXL fins. My toes are currently touching the end of the fin pocket and caused foot cramps, which is why I took the pads off of the spring straps. The current fit is great though, I did 30 dives over 8 days with no discomfort.

I also added a split ring to each of the spring straps so I can clip them off on a double ender and attach them to my BC for shore diving.

Check out the ABC Islands forum. There are currently some really good prices for flights from the US to Bonaire. As for lodging, prices vary quite a bit depending on the amenities that you would like, or can do without. We stayed at the Carribean Club Bonaire on this last trip. The rates were pretty reasonable but the least expensive rooms are small and without a view. The resort is also out of town, so driving time is increased. and the resort is off the water.

If none of those items are issues for you it might work out well. The resort also has some newer suites that look really nice and have thier own rinse tanks locker rooms. They are also affiliated with Buddy Dive, so you can use Buddy's air fill drive through.

I have also stayed a Buddy Dive twice and enjoyed it alot. The resort is nice and centrally located. The house reef is also really nice. Prices are higher but there is more available there as well.

Several places that I will consider next time are Den Laman, Belmar, and Golden Reef Inn. Look around a bit here and also on www.bonairetalk.com. There is a ton of information on Bonaire available, just grab a couple beers, get comfortable, and start searching.

The drive and dive packages are super convenient. I personally love the freedom of diving whenever I want. This last trip we maximized the night diving available on the island. Lots of fun. Also, Nitrox is really nice when you are doing 4+ dives a day for a week.

Regardless of where you decide on, Bonaire is a great place to dive. Have fun.

Also, pick up a copy of Susan Porter's Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy.

Back
Top Bottom