SM Exercises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This explains the long tail pieces. (you may have to be a member to see it) To paraphrase, AG believes that for consistency it's best to just use your standard stage bottle rigging. That's fine for the original stated purpose of a "safer way to monkey dive" but for true SM it doesn't make much sense to me. (with all of 2 SM dives under my belt) :wink:

Clippin the tank.. - Unified Team Diving

Yes, the video posted previous to yours shows the "stage configuration" in a cave with the diver removing a cylinder (which BTW didn't need to be removed since that hole was large enough to pass through without removing anything). If he's going to market its purpose as a "safer way to monkey dive", then he should not make videos showing the configuration being used in the overhead.

BertP:
I had a look at the video and the Z-System seems to me to be an interesting system. Bear in mind, though, that I know next to nothing about SM so my opinion isn't of much value. One thing that did catch my eye in that video was the fact that the diver had his second regulator (from the left tank??) on a bungee around his neck rather than clipped to a D ring. Is that an accepted practice? It seems to me (again, no SM experience) to be a handy way of stowing that reg so it is easy to get to.

Yes, that is an accepted practice. There are several ways to configure regs and stow them. Placing one on a necklace is one of the common ways.

If I was going to travel with sidemount system I would either purchase the Z or Z-Plus. Either systems allows for sidemount or backmounting and unlike the Nomad or Hollis doesn't take third of suitcase to pack.

I'm wondering how exactly, the Z system is used for back mounting.

Plus why do their divers always look so sloppy?

Watch the infomercial. At one point he says you can just use a standard STA with it.

Yes, that is an accepted practice. There are several ways to configure regs and stow them. Placing one on a necklace is one of the common ways.

Is it one of the recommended methods? Also, I assume that there is some sort of break-away facility for that bungee, isn't there? I would hate to hang myself with such an apparatus :depressed:

Bert

It depends on who you talk to. :wink: I bungee my left cylinder reg. And yes, there is a breakaway on mine. However, some people put their necklaces on in such a way that it won't break away easily. So it all depends on how you put it together.

It looks like this thread is going heavily on gas management techniques...

However, as you are a SM newbie, and apparently beginning with OW dives, you should begin your practice at a much earlier stage- before you get to start diving, breathing and managing your gas between two tanks, you will need to actually rig the gear and put it on you.

It probably starts with how you are going to rout your hoses- most regulators have several HP and LP outlets to choose from. You'll have to experiment a little and find out which of these ports give you the best solution for each of your regulators. Most probably they are going to be different one from the other, so you'll have to start getting used to having a "left reg" and "right reg", and it will take a few trial and errors until you figure out which is the best hose routing for each.

Then, you are saying its also a boat diving vacation, so you need a solution for the times when you're on BM. Will you need to keep one of these regs also functional for BM, or you'll be bringing a third reg with you? If you have only two regs, one of them part time shared for BM, tt may have some impact on how you rout the hoses in one of these regs, and you're going to need some solutions to tuck the spare stuff (e.g. the octopus, SPG with relatively long hose etc) so it doesn't interfere with you too much during SM.

Then, you need to figure out how you bring all this stuff to water line, and put it on you in water. No, it is not rocket science, but then you discover that you need always to remember what to do with the LP inflator hose before and after the five (don't forget to disconnect it before you unclip your tanks :wink: ). You should practice a few times putting the tanks on, removing them before the dive and also unclipping and clipping them back (and perhaps also moving them to waist d-rings too?) during the dive. Again, no rocket science and probably after a dozen SM dives you won't need it anymore, but when newbie you need to build the "muscle memory" for these new movements. What about reaching pockets, or wherever you put extra stuff such as SMB etc? You may need to re-arrange the location of this type of extra stuff according to your experimentations.

Soon you'll need to inflate/deflate your wing. You'll have to find out how comfortable you are with it with your SM configuration, perhaps you'll also find the need to rout the inflator in a different manner?

You'll soon find out that there are more than one way to do things in SM...You just need to adjust to what suits you, and better do it in a "controlled environment": If you can have a buddy/friend who can snorkel above you while you get to 1-2m depth and see (or better photograph) how the gear sits on you, how balanced it is and how much clutter you have from your regs etc. You'll probably discover that you need a few more iterations until you get the right arrangement.

So, basically you need to practice what is probably considered "trivial" things, but you need it to gain confidence and acquaintance with a slightly different style of diving. It will take probably 2-3 iterations until you get the rig arranged in a comfortable manner, maybe more, and a few experimental dives until you begin figuring out what's the best way for you.

Thanks, Jai Bar. I definately need to do some practicing of the "before you enter the water" portion of my diving when it comes to SM. I suspect that I am going to be a bit slow with that because I will be on my own in Fiji. I currently don't have my gear from Edd but if it gets here soon, I might be able to do a few practices at home. I have one really old tank that hasn't been hydrostated in probably 25 years that will work well for getting staps on and connecting it to the BC. From what I have gathered so far, a lot of the equipment used in SM is home made so I will need some time to gather up what I will need and put it together.

Bert

Wow -- that rig doesn't seem to snug up the tanks at all . . . at least, not like the Nomad. And why were the divers up in the soda straws? They're so fragile . . .

The Delta Trim System wing and the Z-Plus Trim Systems are the same wing. You can mount a STA between the two hole in the wing, which I'm not sure how well that's going to work, or you can mount on back plate like the Delta Trim System again using a STA. Or, you can mount the Z-plus wing on backplate and use for sidemounting by attaching loop bungees to the backplate. I have a freedom plate and thinking that might work really neat for sidemounting with the Z-plus wing. Maybe Oxycheq mini backplate or thier Oxycheq Ultra light backplate, and there is the Zeagle Tech BC, there is so many options that opens up with this wing. I have one on order and should ship the 4th of April if everything goes right.

The Delta Trim System wing and the Z-Plus Trim Systems are the same wing. You can mount a STA between the two hole in the wing, which I'm not sure how well that's going to work, or you can mount on back plate like the Delta Trim System again using a STA. Or, you can mount the Z-plus wing on backplate and use for sidemounting by attaching loop bungees to the backplate. I have a freedom plate and thinking that might work really neat for sidemounting with the Z-plus wing. Maybe Oxycheq mini backplate or thier Oxycheq Ultra light backplate, and there is the Zeagle Tech BC, there is so many options that opens up with this wing. I have one on order and should ship the 4th of April if everything goes right.

But your premise is that this is an easier system to pack. Once you add a back plate, how is it anymore compact than a Hollis or Nomad? And do you have to take it apart to thread the webbing through the plate? With an STA, how floppy would that tank be on your back?

You're okay sidemounting in open water with a hard plate on your back, but I wouldn't do that in a true sidemount environment.

To the OP, practice with what you'll be using in Fiji. Diving with steels and aluminums are two different animals. You will be fine with your purchase. Just take the time to play with it and get used to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom