SM Exercises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But your premise is that this is an easier system to pack. Once you add a back plate, how is it anymore compact than a Hollis or Nomad? And do you have to take it apart to thread the webbing through the plate? With an STA, how floppy would that tank be on your back?

You're okay sidemounting in open water with a hard plate on your back, but I wouldn't do that in a true sidemount environment.

To the OP, practice with what you'll be using in Fiji. Diving with steels and aluminums are two different animals. You will be fine with your purchase. Just take the time to play with it and get used to it.

My backplate and wing is lot more compact than my Hollis rig or my EXP that I sold it. I do not have the wing yet so I can't answer how it hooks up yet but from the video of the Delta system it looks like it hooks up like any other wing with straps around the shoulder harness and waist harness. As far as hooking the STA to the wing I have my doubts but I don't know for sure how well it's going to work, but they use the Nomad EXP for doubles and I have a hard time believing that would be more stable either. I just don't know till I get the system and try it, heck I might not even like but the I do like the concept.:idk:

Well, I made it to Fiji :) Unfortunately, my gear from Edd didn't arrive until the day after I left :( It turns out that it didn't really matter anyway - none of the tanks that I have seen here will accept a DIN first stage.

Bert

That's a common issue. Buy a couple of DIN adapters. They are very useful for situation like that.

Unfortunately, my gear from Edd didn't arrive until the day after I left :( It turns out that it didn't really matter anyway - none of the tanks that I have seen here will accept a DIN first stage.
Dive-a-holic:
That's a common issue. Buy a couple of DIN adapters. They are very useful for situation like that.
Exactly. When I travel and plan to dive SM configuration, I carry two DIN-to-yoke adaptors, with my SM regs and Nomad.

Yes, I will have to pick a couple up. aAfter our experiences the last few days, I will have to carry a bunch of O-rings as well. I think we replaced O-rings on a dozen tanks this week plus one reg....

Bert

With all the extra gear needed for SM, and thus more chances for gear failure and problems, I carry a small tool kit with me all the time now.

We were fortunate that one of the guys on board was a DM/Instructor/Dive Shop Owner so he had the tools necessary to do the job. It ended up being a mild inconvenience rather than a catastrophe.

Bert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom