SMALL 1080p HD camera and housing from Ikelite/JVC coming out in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMan2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Guys and Gals,

Just got some info from Ikelite the other day that you might want to take a look at. They are starting to ship a JVC 1080p HD camera and housing for under $460.00/USD. Great for travel and other sports besides SCUBA.

You can read more if you like on our blog:
Blog - New! Ikelite JVC Compact Video Package - Underwater Photo and Video

This might be what I'm looking for after all, with so many options...for a nube, how is Ikelite for housing quality? I just want something simple for family pics and vid's. I've read Sealife and Sea & Sea have some issues with "tiny bubbles". I have done my "search" functions here and have become "task saturated" in finding a simple solution. 1080P and stills too

Last edited:
Like I mention to everyone I speak to in regards to video housings, we feel there are 4 really good housing manufacturers, there are others besides these that are good but just don't have the reputation and the track record of these 4.

Ikelite
Gates
Light & Motion
Amphibico

In this instance Ikelite sounds like the best fit for your needs. You can rest assured with an Ikelite housing you are going to get a great unit that actually does what it says it will, it will give you great footage, be expandable for lenses and lights and will be affordable.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

What's the focal length of the JVC? I'm looking into Ikelite's Flip Ultra housing, but the Flip's fixed lens 35mm-equivalent focal length is close to 42mm, which essentially makes a W-20/UWL100 wide angle adapter mandatory.

I just looked at that system and for the money, that doesn't seem bad at all. It would give a person the opportunity to get their feet wet doing video and see if it's something they would really like before investing big bucks into a higher end system.

The Flip doesn't have image stabilization, and with its not-so-wide lens (I just measured it at about 45mm equivalent) you definitely notice the shakies. Attached to a wide angle lens, it's manageable.

Ive yet to play with the new JVC, but I sure know both of the Flip's have been excellent. I carry my Ultra HD with me everywhere in my camera backpack. Im excited to take the new JVC underwater and compare it to the Flip Ultra HD

I'm very interested to hear people's opinions, I've been in the market for one of these little cameras and now that Ikelite is offering the housing for the JVC, Kodak Zx1 and the Flip, I'm curious to see which one works best. Has anyone played with all of these out of the water yet?

I receive my package in from Ikelite on the 10th, I will play with it and give you some updates. Unfortunately I am only diving cold fresh water for the next month or so, so I cant give you any quality bluewater footage updates until our next trip, I will upload some raw greenwater footage in the next few weeks. I am sure Mike @ H2o will be able to give us some great bluewater footage sooner so I will defer the footage updates to him. :D

Back
Top Bottom