SMALL 1080p HD camera and housing from Ikelite/JVC coming out in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa - the critique seemed to be less about tight buttons and more the responsiveness of the buttons - i plan to go to a Best Buy this weekend and check out both Flip and the JVC - and i'll post my impressions...This is definitely something i want for my holiday diving!

Does anyone who has more experience with this equipment know about the quality of the light being shipped? Is it something that one can "grow" with?

bg

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just got some info from Ikelite the other day that you might want to take a look at. They are starting to ship a JVC 1080p HD camera and housing for under $460.00/USD. Great for travel and other sports besides SCUBA.

You can read more if you like on our blog:
Blog - New! Ikelite JVC Compact Video Package - Underwater Photo and Video

Hey TMAN2,

Do you have these instock now? What is the ship time if I order Monday, I am traveling on Nov 22 and would to love take video on my trip.

Joe

Just to report I had a chance to check out the different cameras at a local Best Buy. I actually prefer the hand feel of the JVC - the Flip felt a bit "fat." The buttons didn't seem too close together, but I did notice some of the critiques - for example you don't get a preview of the photo after taking (of course the flip doesn't take photos).

The sad thing is that the Xi8 looks great as did one by Samsung and the Sony - just no underwater cases as far as I know. JVC, Canon and Sony had slightly larger camcorders (with the flip out screen) that were about the same price and seemed more functional - of course the housings for those all start at $800 so that's a bummer - i'm assuming there are no cheaper housing for that class anywhere?

I'm curious to hear TMAN2's (or anyone's) report on underwater functionality but i'm definitely leaning towards the JVC package...

thanks for the great thread going,

bg

Alright,

I just ordered the JVC and housing. I was planning on the Go Pro Wide HD, but thier deliver dates slipped from end of October to pretty much the end of November. I have a trip planned over Thanksgiving and the delay in camera deliver left me scrambling. So, now I have to get the JVC and have a tray manufactured that will support my Sealife Camera and the Jvc, then test it. My wife hates it when I get new equipment right at vacation time. :) Well, I hope to be able to shoot some decent vids and get them posted after Turkey day!

Joe

I've been trying to do research and play with this and other mini-camcorders(above water) to come to some decision. I could use some additional input. What advantage does the JVC or flip for that matter have over a point and shoot camera that can record 720p video at 30fps? Would the focal lenght of the camera make it a better choice, or do these mini-rigs shoot video that is that much better? The point and shoot camera I was playing with was a Canon SD780.

I've been trying to do research and play with this and other mini-camcorders(above water) to come to some decision. I could use some additional input. What advantage does the JVC or flip for that matter have over a point and shoot camera that can record 720p video at 30fps? Would the focal lenght of the camera make it a better choice, or do these mini-rigs shoot video that is that much better? The point and shoot camera I was playing with was a Canon SD780.

Cmaha, that's the quandary. For ~$160, cameras like the Flip have a slight price advantage, if you can do without optical zoom lenses, flashes, image stabilization, more settings, etc. Since they have small, fixed lenses, they also tend to be pretty fast ones too, the Flip has an f/2.4 lens, which can help in low light. These flash camcorders are also really easy to use, and typically come with video editing/uploading software built in. The Flip also comes with 8GB flash built in, saving you a $30 or so of buying an SD card.

For about $100 more, you can get a real kickass pocket camera with a 24-100 or 28-120 image stabilized zoom lens and video quality that is probably at least on par with the Flip. And it shoots real pictures. IMO, as the months/weeks roll by, the strict economics continue to swing steadily in favor of the digicam.

But you can't deny that the flash cameras are really gaining popularity. I think it has something to do with the idea of "doing one thing and doing it well." There's also something to be said for simplicity. Lastly, for the same price I wouldn't just walk into a Costco and buy a Canon Powershot. But for some reason, I have fewer qualms about picking up a Flip and duct taping it to the grille of my car to video the drive home :)

For underwater video, I keep harping on one thing - unless you're trying to shoot close-up (and the minimum focal distance of the Flip is still too far for true macro), the lenses on these flash camcorders just aren't wide enough without a converter, and those things aren't cheap. You can get acceptably wide shots without a converter using the wide angle lens of a 24mm or 28mm digicam, which really makes up for any extra that the digicam.

Tman2, I'm curious about your experience with the JVC. After chatting with someone at BH he recommended the FLIP due to its ease of functionality. One comment was that with the JVC you can't use macro mode while in the ikelite case...

how did you find it?

bg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom