SMALL 1080p HD camera and housing from Ikelite/JVC coming out in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We finally got a batch of these in today, they have been backordered. Now if I only I could make it out to the islands this weekend to shoot with all these new toys I have sitting in the store!!!

Okay guys,
That to Submerge Video and Visa I am now the proud owner of the JVC video Camera.
Thanks to the machine shop at work and Scoot and my boss Jim. I am now have a tray to carry all my camera gear on. Sorry the pic is blurry, what can you expect from a camera phone on a Friday night?

ScubaBoard Gallery - 2009-11-20_19_00_41

ScubaBoard Gallery - 2009-11-20_18_59_54

Okay Boys and Girls, I made the trip with the camera. Here are a few off the cuff thoughts about the JVC.

Ease of use is good
Field of view is very tight, to get any wide angle you have to be a fair distance away.
Camera and housing are positive buoyant
Battery life is 1 hour :-(
No adjustments on camera, turn on and point and shoot.
Great Stills, funny you get a wider angle of view on stills.

Video:

Roatan Hon 11-27-09 on Vimeo

Okay Boys and Girls, I made the trip with the camera. Here are a few off the cuff thoughts about the JVC.

Ease of use is good
Field of view is very tight, to get any wide angle you have to be a fair distance away.
Camera and housing are positive buoyant
Battery life is 1 hour :-(
No adjustments on camera, turn on and point and shoot.
Great Stills, funny you get a wider angle of view on stills.

Video:

Roatan Hon 11-27-09 on Vimeo

Hey Joe, now that you have had the camera for a little while, what do you think of it....?? I am on the fence between this and the Flip...I also have a hundred dollar Best Buy coupon so I would get either housing separately...

Hey Joe, now that you have had the camera for a little while, what do you think of it....?? I am on the fence between this and the Flip...I also have a hundred dollar Best Buy coupon so I would get either housing separately...

Honestly, I would get neither. The aspect range of the JVC is goofy, everything seems so close. I would imagine you would need the WIDE Angle lense to correct the viewing issue. Stabilization is an issue, seems no matter how slow I pan and move (even if I anchor myself to bottom) it is still an issue.

Go buy a nikon or cannon point and shoot, camera that shoots HD video and then get a housing. You will have the best of both worlds. My buddy has a a s230 I think and it shoots excellent HD video.

I think the JVC makes too many compromises, to be small and portable. It is buoyant at any depth and very noisy ( picks up every sound underwater).

I got a new Sealife DC 1000 Eilite Package for XMAS, my wife say she will shoot video with the JVC in Fiji in May, so it is not a total loss.

I took the JVC on a river drift dive today... takes great shots, but I bet in the 1 hour battery life I got maybe 25 minutes of usable video... with alot of editing.

Battery life is weak and can only be charge through USB port. Battery is not changable.

Joe

Honestly, I would get neither. The aspect range of the JVC is goofy, everything seems so close. I would imagine you would need the WIDE Angle lense to correct the viewing issue. Stabilization is an issue, seems no matter how slow I pan and move (even if I anchor myself to bottom) it is still an issue.

Go buy a nikon or cannon point and shoot, camera that shoots HD video and then get a housing. You will have the best of both worlds. My buddy has a a s230 I think and it shoots excellent HD video.

I think the JVC makes too many compromises, to be small and portable. It is buoyant at any depth and very noisy ( picks up every sound underwater).

I got a new Sealife DC 1000 Eilite Package for XMAS, my wife say she will shoot video with the JVC in Fiji in May, so it is not a total loss.

I took the JVC on a river drift dive today... takes great shots, but I bet in the 1 hour battery life I got maybe 25 minutes of usable video... with alot of editing.

Battery life is weak and can only be charge through USB port. Battery is not changable.

Joe

Thanks....That settles it..Ill get a housing for my Canon HV20, though a bit expensive..But I wont be wasting 400 hundred elsewhere. Thanks again..My fellow Tampon !! :D

Thanks....That settles it..Ill get a housing for my Canon HV20, though a bit expensive..But I wont be wasting 400 hundred elsewhere. Thanks again..My fellow Tampon !! :D

Anytime, Glad I could help.

Back
Top Bottom