Small First Aid Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joetex0777

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am wanting to put together a small first aid kit that I can keep in my dive bag. What essential items do you keep in yours and do you have any unique ideas for waterproof/crush resistant containers for it?

Thanks,
Joe

A good container is one of these.

They make a larger one which is designed for holding first aid supplies (which I use as my main kit), I also use a small 1l one for a mini-kit which travels with me in my gear bag.

HTH

Dom

I keep bandages that are "waterproof," plus a spray can of "liquid bandages." Also keep sudafed and afrin nasal spray in the kit. Tweezers & a small knife as well. I also have a roll of water proof medical tape ... it's sort of padded and stretchy, which helps it to flex (stays on well) and cushion an injury.

I'm going to put another vote in for the "Lock-n-Lock" container.

My bare essentials first aid kit has sharp tweezers, bandage scissors, Vet-Wrap, waterproof bandaids, gauze pads, sinus pills, seasick meds, alcohol swabs, Neosporin cream and eye drops.
Ber :lilbunny:

The most difficult problem with a divers first aid kit is keeping everything dry. Over the years I have tried every rectangle plastic container I could find. With the movement and crush in the average dive bag, they all leaked. About 10 years ago I tried a plastic tube sold in welding shops, and building centers that carry welding supplies. These tubes are meant to keep welding rods dry. I have a red rod container with a belt clip, and has not leaked in 10 years with all the normal wear and tear. Inside of this tube, I use several small plastic zip type bags for bandaids. . . I can quickly grab what's needed between dives without exposing everything to water. In my tube I pack nylon tape, 4", 3", and 1" roller gauze. Also, I carry 4x4 and 2x2 gauze pads, a packaged triangle bandage and an Ace 3" elastic wrap.

joetex0777:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Where is the best place to get the "Lock-n-Lock" containers?

I get mine at Meijer in the household department. Most mega-chains should carry them.
Ber :lilbunny:

Try a local army navy surplus store. The ammo boxes are metal and water tight. They can usually be had pretty cheap.

Good Luck

TD

I use an "Otter" box as my scuba first aid kit. It is durable, watertight and comes in various sizes.

Other have mentioned good items to have in the first aid kit. Make sure you have a good pair of tweezers (like Ber linked). The $0.99 pair of tweezers from Wal-Mart just won't work when you have something very fine that you are trying to remove. The same goes for a pair of scissors. Get some good, small scissors from a fabric store.

Also, 99% of actual uses of my first aid kit have involved surface injuries. Cuts lead the way with bug bites a close second, and splinters a close third.

My kit:

Tweezers
Scissors
Medical Tape
Gloves (for my protection on strangers)
Band-aids of various shapes and sizes. The Nemo graphics are popular for scuba divers.
Guaze pads 3"x3"
1 roll of gauze
Cortizon (sp?) gel something for bug bites and other rashes
Alcohol pads/wipes
Aspirin
Bonine (sea-sickness medication)

Even on trips, I'll throw this in the bottom of my gear bag. I have used it plenty of times on a boat or while shore diving on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom