SmartPro vs. Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSRosecastle

Reaction score
I know these two pc's are compared all the time, I've been reading the threads. Here's my deal, I'm diving an air pc now (genesis resource) which I've had for years, and in the last year I've had a giant lunge back into hardcore diving and am currently working towards my divemasters. I wanted to get some opinions by people who dive similarly to myself on which would be best suited.

I do alot of cold water diving in depths of 80-130 ft, mostly wrecks. I generally do 2 dives per day, although sometimes it goes up as high as 5 per day on occasion. I'm trying to find a PC that is nitrox capable and offers me the most out of what I can do with it (ie ranges of mixes). I know the smart pro will go upto 100%, but really what is the point. No one is going to dive anywhere's over 50 unless their doing accelerated deco, but then you can't switch gases during the dive so why bother making the pc rated for that high a gas?
I had considered the Vytec, but i've read its super super conservative, and I like to get the most out of my bottom times, but still be safe. If i ever get to accel deco, then I figure I can use either the smartpro or vyper (or vytec) as a pc and then use tables for the deco schedule and use the pc in guage mode. Any comments? What'd I'd really like is a VR3, but I dont' want to fork out that much money. Which would you guys think is best suited for me? And no, I don't want AI.

Thanks Guys and girls,
Chris

I'm sure Vyper and Vytec has same conservatism, so if you are more on the making max use of your bottom time, Vyper will still be conservative, in comparison to Vytec. A little bit on conservatism, the dive comp calculation is based on mathematical model. No divecomp can assure 100% safe profile, even the most conservative one.

There are several things that might affect your decision. Are you going to continue to tech diving? If so maybe you need something that can go to gauge mode. But based on your question, if you decide to get Vyper, get Vytec instead. Both of them are same conservative, but Vytec allows you to change gas during a dive.

Benny

Back
Top Bottom