SMB color preference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm currently looking to buy an SMB. Anyone got thoughts on quality ones? I hear the Carters are very nice. I saw a new one put out by Manta at a show last week. Some nice features.

I didn't like the Dive Rite one all that much, and I used a Halcyon one a few weeks ago and that was ok. I guess I ought to be thinking of getting two referencing this discussion.

Thanks for your thoughts.

PerroneFord:
I'm currently looking to buy an SMB. Anyone got thoughts on quality ones? I hear the Carters are very nice. I saw a new one put out by Manta at a show last week. Some nice features.

I didn't like the Dive Rite one all that much, and I used a Halcyon one a few weeks ago and that was ok. I guess I ought to be thinking of getting two referencing this discussion.

The one I have is an orange Carter PF-30. It's semi-closed so I can fill it with a second stage, but also has a small oral inflation tube, an OPV, and small d-ring at the top to attach a marker light to on for night dives (I use a glo-toob). It's also small enough to fit in my thigh pocket with a spool attached. Before this one I used to use one that could only be inflated orally, and I don't think I can go back to it (the carter belongs to my gf). Plus another person I was diving with lost two bags on our dives (they got ripped when shot up), so he probably ended up paying more than I in the long run. I'd prefer orange color because yellow is sometimes used to signal a problem, but since Carter doesn't produce orange ones anymore I might just get a yellow one and hope no one gets confused.

PerroneFord:
I was diving in Monterey with a dive buddy that used halcion, while I used my carter bag. He, a well respected local tech diver, was reaonably impressed by my bag (as much as a bag can be impressive...). It was easier to inflate (oraly) than the halcion, bigger reflective area and d ring for a glow tube.

Only down side is you can't inflate it from a dry suit inflator hose (but thats why it easier oraly). He also didn't like the semi-open bottom which allows inflating from below with a regulator, but on the surface when it was horizonal, it did not loose any air (nor could you get the water out through the bottom).

I found carter to be a joy to deal with too.

You are right, in some circles over here in the UK (usually the technical fraternity), orange or red is a standard deco blob and yellow indicates some problem (low gas, out of gas, etc), however it is not across the board.

The problem is that our RNLI and Coastguard did a test of all the different DSMBs, flags, etc, on the market and found – by a long shot – that yellow shows up far better to searchers than orange or red, so it is now just a case of getting this across to the manufacturers – and the tech boys perhaps swapping what the colours mean so they use the brighter, more-visible colour as a standard DSMB.

Mark

Somewhere on this board there was a link to a British site that reviewed sea rescue equipment.

They found that yellow markers stand out much better than red as mentioned above. Something to consider.

That is very true about the yellow ones. All of the boat captains I've talked to said they are much easier to see. I have my name printed on mine because I solo a lot and they can tell it's me when there are several boats in the area.

Back
Top Bottom